Tuners and PCM update compatibilty

Rate this topic

Does anyone have a list of programmers and how stock PCM updates are performed?

I know Spartan programs can be applied to any calibration.

Edge recommends updating the programmer at the same time.

I see many different types coming in now, it seems more and more people are becoming programmers.

early model bully dogs not so much

later models are usually ok with updates as long as you update the programmer software

same with superchips

edge is 50/50 on new versions. if you update PCM Cal older model edge tuners are paperweights, and edge offers no customer support after that

Spartan is king! best upgradability on the market...hence the 1200 to 1500 price tag

Wow! I sure hope grumpyjim doesn't see this thread.

As a sidebar... he doesn't have a problem with "toys" - Lord knows he is involved with a whole fleet of toys. These toys include a 2006 Viper with less than 3000 kms - a very "dirty" 440RB that has been run less than 4 hours per year for several years. But he does have a problem with daily drivers that should be emissions compliant.

My grandson has just celebrated his second Xmas and his first birthday. We are only borrowing this planet from him and the people that share his generation. As professional automotive repair technicians, we are duty bound to avoid cavalier attitudes to emissions regulations. The public is relying on us to be honest and truthful in our actions. If we are to look at the requirements and regulations and then contravene those same conditions, we are telling the public that we are unreliable, unbelievable and without remorse. Little wonder that people view us as thieves and charlatans.

If we aren't about to act in a responsible manner, how can we expect others to act accordingly... and this includes politicians, the military emergency services, media....

I do apologize for preaching... but if this trade is ever going to be taken seriously, we desparately need to act like we should be taken seriously.

After fighting with Ford twice for coverage on a part that had clearly failed NOT because of modifications,but on its own accord, that would have been caught by the latest update, which had not been installed because no-one bothered to find out if it could or not, because everyone has to tip toe around trucks with chips.........

I finally got fed up and decided to figure this little issue out. And it has paid off.

I won't install the mods, but on the other hand, I will not turn customers away because of them. I will tell the customer to put the truck back to stock if needed for diagnostic reasons. Some DPF deletes don't have the EGT sensors put back in the pipes which baffles me, but we deal with what we get.

BTW..where you been Jim, it's been awhile since you prowled the forums here. Good to see you back. I for one always benefit from your insights, on most things.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ask Jim if he like onions. Posted Image

Onions or Ogres, because Ogres are like onions you know, they both have layers. Know what else has layers? Parfait, everyone likes parfait.....

Sorry, had to say that...Funny stuff

• 5 months later...

SO......I just reprogrammed PCM for the P0088 and now the EGDE tuner no longer supports this PCM level.....GRRRRRR. Even after updating the tuner.

Update: Phoned the guys at Edge. They have the new calibration but have yet to crack it. I am one of many on a mass email list for the release.

Update #2: got in contact with Egde. They rolled the PCM back to the level before the last update and we put the tuner back in. Will have to do the Ford update when the Edge update is official. Real nice guys to deal with.

Funny how everyone has money for tuners, but noone has money for head gasgets. (Read stopleak for headgasget repair thread). Maybe because tuners make your penis bigger?

I like onions (small 'o' onions) and I've been known to tie one to my belt, which was the style at the time. OTOH, Onions (with a big 'O', and they are like Ogres) have become the scourge of the modern world... I'll stop here beause we are better off if I don't get started...

I haven't found much time for forums since my wife hasn't been doing all that well for a while... she's had Crohns Disease for over 40 years.... She's been using a cane (and sometimes a walker) to get around so I've been doing a fair bit of the housework. I'm on vacation right now and, since we aren't really going anywhere, I have a little time to burn.

and for some strange reason, I have taken an inordinate interest in particle physics and quantum mechanics and have been reading and watching about everything I can find... (did you know a neutron is made up of two down quarks and one up quark? and no, I do not understand the "math" but I do love to read about the theory.)

Dave, better than affording the chips and other add-ons - why is it when the truck is negatively affected by the add-on, it is the truck that is a POS and not the accessory?

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to guess this is an edge evolution?

Any setting higher than "2" is a transmission killer.

I would try and sell your customer on a tuner that alters the TCM as well as the PCM if you're so inclined.

I no way endorse or advocate this, just offering my input.

My buddy's race truck is deep into the tens on a trans that is built, but not overly exotic. Tuning is everything.