Injector Interchangeability

Rate this topic

Hey Guys:

This topic comes up regularly in class and I don't remember if we've come to a conclusion. I also don't know what the answer is.

Can you interchange early and late 6.0 injectors? Have you ever seen it? What are the differences in construction?

I have a student who has done it on a run stand but not a road truck. He said an 05 ran fine on the stand with '03 injectors.

I'm thinking there could be a difference in volume of deliver as well as timing, as there could be a hydraulic difference causing a timing delay like the #8 on a 7.3.

Any input is appreciated.....

Thanks!

Posted Image

I have a bunch of suppliers/wholesalers that offer fuel shop rebuilt injectors. They only offer one injector for all model year 6.0's. They also only offer one size glow plug. IMO we know better, so we should put the correct parts in. There are plenty of other times for mistakes.

Around the time when I asked that question, I spoke to Bill at Superior Injection, and he had told me the plunger/barrel coating was the difference, and he had seen them come as the later number with the uncoated plunger/barrel, and early numbers reman'd with the coated plunger/barrel IIRC. I have also installed the later injectors in 2 separate early engines mixed with 3C and 4C numbers and have seen no issue with performance or drivability complaints, and power balance screen at least shows no erratic issue with the late injectors. With my personal experience, at this point I believe they may be interchanged, however I'm sure others here have different views and to each their own.

• 3 years later...

If I had a whole set of 4c3z I wouldn't hesitate to put them in an 03. I wouldn't mix and match though I did it once on an 03 truck that was getting sent to the auction. Stuck a good used injector out of my 06 truck into it and it ran fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok update time, my own truck early build 03 with 185k miles, it's suffering from morning sickness for a long time but has been good after it warmed up but in the last few months it's been running like crap and the recent record low temperatures in the northeast haven't helped. I had a full set of 4c3z injectors so I stuck them in. I can report zero driveabilty issues.

• Like 1