A little stupid, a lot funny......

Rate this topic

Just finished cleaning up my tools before dropping the cab after a set of 05 head gaskets. Learned a very humorous and potentially dangerous lesson. After washing down my Span-On 3/8 drive 7.2V electric impact with brake cleaner, yes I used brake clean... Posted Image, I used shop air to blow out where the battery goes but forgot about the motor area... Posted Image.

You can imagine what happened next.... Posted Image...

I don't think I will be using this thing on gas engines or fuel tanks.

Just thought I would share that.

I had a customer complain to me about our Dewalt 12v Max screwdrivers. He wanted me to warranty it for catching fire after cleaning it with Brakeclean and then pulling the trigger. He was actually quite rude about it. He doesn't think it is a safe tool to use. I don't think the tool using the tool is all that safe to be around. I asked him why he didn't bathe in brakeclean to clean himself off before he pulled the trigger. We had a few words and he no longer buys Dewalt. And of coursae everyone else in the shop was laughing their asses off at him. One less headache for me to worry about. Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...

A coworker of mine had his whole sleeve light up for an instant in the exact same situation not long ago. Ill wipe mine down with a brake-wash soaked rag if its REALLY bad, but I haven't sprayed it down since.

One would consider that the operative part of "brake clean" is "brake"... and from there, wonder why "they" would ever consider making "electrical contact cleaner" if we should consider brake cleaner to be "everything cleaner".

We have an apprentice that uses nitrile gloves often when he is working with chemicals ... and then spray his hands off with brake clean rather than washing them properly...

Has the world gone fucking nuts?

"Back in the day", we would open the bay door and blow the dust out of a drum brake assembly. For something over 40 years I have immersed various parts of my anatomy in all manner of carcinogenic compounds - far be it from me to preach to the choir....

For something over 40 years I smoked, on average, two packs a day (that's 50 " 'Arry Rags", folks). Today, after something like 4 smoke free years, I am coughing like a champion.

I can't say that there was a whole bunch of common sense wrapped up in some of the things we did way back when... but if we did something to re-affirm our fallibility, we accepted the responsibility for our actions. "I phuqued up".

I don't wear nitrile gloves now for the same reason I didn't back then.... I will die when it is my time and not a moment before. That, and they make my hands sweat and then they stink.... even though my old shnozz can't smell anything, anymore.

My thoughts on men whimpering... it isn't very manly (unless you watch a lot of HGTV). At least have the decency to stop when you get to a C cup.