Question from Student

Rate this topic

Email from student:

My question is have you ever seen a 2002 F-450 have a problem of killing the engine when the windshield washer is used. By wiring diagrams I don’t see any connection. The harness looks good in the steering column. I even changed the multifunction switch just in case but that didn’t work. It will not usually kill it the first time you hit the button but about after 4-6 times it will die like you shut it off. It will restart. Battery voltage is fine.

I'm kind of stumped on this one and don't know what to respond. The closest one I had like this was a 7.3 that would surge and stall when the turn signal was turned on, the problem ended up being the insulation became conductive on the green CMP sensor wire and cross bled voltage from the TS circuit into the CMP circuit. (I proved this with a scope, it was very weird).

My gut instinct is a bad harness or bad ground somewhere.

Any comments?

Thanks!

Posted Image

Water in the GEM?

No GEM on a 2002. I was thinking the same thing until I remembered that model year the GEM functions were split up into the cluster, VSM, 4X4 module and of course, the wiper motor. The wiper motor itself contains the microprocessor for the motor and washer control.

I have seen a number of different systems on vehicles create interference and wash out crank or cam signals, including interference from electric motors. The details are fuzzy, but I remember fixing one by putting a capacitor actoss the power and ground on the motor to act as a noise suppressor.

• 1 month later...

Harness that comes out of the truck at the firewall all mangled up/soaked with oil causing the insulation to deteriorate?

Something shorting out in the column wiring?