What's in your bay, part III

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Doing another 6.0 ambulance. This one is puking coolant down the front of the engine. Ofcourse I can't see where exactly without moving several easily (ahem) accessible items out of the way.

Oil cooler top cover is leaking. Water pump impeller and shaft worked it's way into the front cover, which by the way is also badly cavitated. So oil cooler, front cover, water pump and hopefully she's all fixed up for a while.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day job, setting up a GT500 for some drag racing action.

Barney job, 6.7 turbocharger, I didn't know you could measure turbo shaft play with a tape measure.

Got a 66 Mustang Contertible, garden variety 289, no start. Cleaned and tightened the starter relay connections to get it going, but runs like shit, points barely opening. So I pull out the points and condenser all wired together, throw them on my toolbox, and our mid-aged apprentice wanders by. I show him the points and condenser, ask him what it is, he doesn't have a clue. So I tell him, he says he never heard of it. Wow.

I was going to tell him about the choke heat tubes that I was making up for it, but whats the point?

Got a 66 Mustang Contertible, garden variety 289, no start. Cleaned and tightened the starter relay connections to get it going, but runs like shit, points barely opening. So I pull out the points and condenser all wired together, throw them on my toolbox, and our mid-aged apprentice wanders by. I show him the points and condenser, ask him what it is, he doesn't have a clue. So I tell him, he says he never heard of it. Wow.

I was going to tell him about the choke heat tubes that I was making up for it, but whats the point?

I was waiting for the part where you handed him the charged condenser....

2012 F550 6.7L, 2944 Kms, 911 hrs, 809 idle hrs. Low compression on #2.....

Here is the bell housing.....

Posted Image

And here is #2 piston at top dead center....

Posted Image

My first thought was they took it swimming, but there is no water in the intercooler and intake and turbo look good. It had that hole's injector replaced by them in the field, (they are certified by Ford to perform small warranty jobs), but the RO has that done over 100 KM's ago.

The rod is bent and other than some slight scraping of the piston on the crank, there was no internal damage. No pistons available so it gets a short block.

I just use a floor jack. Econolines I use a expedition bottle jack for the minimal space it takes up.

Got a customer pay 6.4 exhaust manifolds job in full swing. Decided to pull the cab which worked perfectly. Cab off manifolds off in 5 hours. Pulled 2 busted studs with the mig

This one was broke off 1/16" below flush. Built it up and right out it came

64stud.jpg

I like the jackstand because you can put it between the front crossmember and bellhousing and roll the truck around without worrying about a jack to roll along with the truck too.

Put a McLeod dual disc clutch in a high ten second Boss 302 Mustang this morning, and did a rear gear swap, and put doors and fenders on a 70 Super Bee this afternoon to send it off to the body shop.

Went to pull that ambo out yesterday, made it 20 feet from my stall and it blew the pressure line going into the box, the thing is on backorder from ford so I didn't quote it to begin with. Had to use a NAPA line today which seemed to work fine.

All back apart and back together again. Not taking any chances it got both ps lines, and all new rad hoses the second time around.

I don't think I've worked on one of these things that didn't leave with less than 2 thousand dollars in repairs(mostly parts). This fleet is pretty neglected and there's still a few I haven't worked on yet.