What's in your bay, part III

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

08 f350 140000 kms. 3 low cylinders, drained 30L out of the crankcase, #3 injector leaking at the jam nut. 1 damaged glowplug and a fuzzy drain plug.

11B23 would have caught that before killing 3 holes.

Sure would have, but most of these trucks are in the field since new and hardly ever get the recall done. The fleets are so big they get forgotten about and the recall is done when something causes a running concern. They do take care of them though, which is nice to see. Seems it happens to trucks with a build date around sept 2008. They always get approval for all 8 injectors when they let go. Was told that was an issue for that production date.

Remeber the injector recall around that time? I think they made an error in what injectors were bad, possibly more were affected than got called back. I had a truck leak at the jam nut and smoke a motor.(pre 11b23) It had the recall done on 7 injectors. It leaked from the only injector that never got recalled.

well I'm pulling another 4F27 out of a focus. Not a lot of metal in the pan but many gold sparkles suspended in the fluid. behind that is a F450 getting balljoints, a draglink and some maintenance.

Now this is odd. Have an 08 F350 that got the usual short block. Close to the same production date as the last one that got 8 injectors. This time I got approval only for the failed one. Make me wonder if someone got spanked for giving out approvals for all 8.

2011 F150 Ecoboost with an oil leak from the left turbo oil supply tube fitting. The only frustration with this one is the vagueness of the WSM on how to get to this thing. My advise is to remove the degas bottle and alternator even though the WSM does not mention it.

2010 F350, 184,790 KMS. Retail high pressure pump for P0088, to quote Micheal, cha-ching. Plus rear pads, rotors, seals and a caliper mount.

Has low compression on cylinders 8 and 2, cylinder 8 is just starting to melt and has scoring all the way around on the cylinder wall. Short block time.

• 2 weeks later...

6L that had the intake off for some high pressure system repairs, then started to rattle like nobodies business. Dropped #7 then stopped rattling. I pulled the head, wasn't me who did the original job, Found the piston had the crap beat out of it and all 4 valves bent. Surprisingly the head surface and cylinder wall both look fine. From the looks of the marks it seems like a valve keeper fell into the intake port and bounced around until finally embedding itself into the piston. It is getting a new piston and 4 valves, on us.

05 couple injectors, balljoints, draglink, rear axle seal, filters. it's been a while since I had a gravy job.

This thing has the HOTTEST 6.0 tune I've ever felt. It's still on what appears to be the stock bolts too.... yikes. I was honestly scared to run it too hard after having the high pressure system opened up. Usually a couple wot runs to clear the air out, not taking that chance with this thing.

6L that had the intake off for some high pressure system repairs, then started to rattle like nobodies business. Dropped #7 then stopped rattling. I pulled the head, wasn't me who did the original job, Found the piston had the crap beat out of it and all 4 valves bent. Surprisingly the head surface and cylinder wall both look fine. From the looks of the marks it seems like a valve keeper fell into the intake port and bounced around until finally embedding itself into the piston. It is getting a new piston and 4 valves, on us.

Failed to mention I am doing this in chasis with the cab on, on the floor. Oil pan is back on and everything looks good so far.

It's a regular cab, my hoist arms are too long to do a cab lift. It is also too heavy to lift it high enough to get some big stands under the cab. So cab off was not an option. With the EVAP core out of the way the job was quite easy. Doing the pan on the floor, I found, was easier on my arms when putting the bolts back in. The truck sat high enough for me to move around with ease under it.

• 2 weeks later...

What's in my bay, hmmmmmm? Well, t'other day I had a 350 - I had just gotten back from o road test and happened to give a closer look to the passenger seat. That's when I noticed this..... this buds for you.

Posted Image

Then today, Tuesday, I got another 350. I guess mister didn't like our quote on installing vent shades so he did it hisself...... yeppers... glued them puppies firmly to the door glass...

Posted Image

Some days the only reason I go to work is because I want to see what happens next....