What's in your bay, part III

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

2012 Mustang GT with a spun cylinder #2 rod bearing in my car bay. A 2011 F-450 just came in on the hook as a no-crank no-start, and no instrument cluster power up.

what did you find out on the F-450?

got a 2011 F-250 gasser that is doing the same thing. Haven't found anything obvious

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a 2011 F-250 gasser that is doing the same thing. Haven't found anything obvious

Funny you should ask. As it stands right now, I have replaced the main underhood harness as well as the transmission harness, only to be not much further ahead, other than the fact that I managed to bring the cluster back to life to get the actual mileage. I have since started an extensive Hotline contact on this issue which has now escalated to having an FSE involved. He was just actually present yesterday, only to repeat the tests I had already done. The higher ups are now instructing me to install a new PCM by using manual vehicle data entry which I'm not optimistic that it's going to get us any further ahead.

Wow that's rough. I got mine today which was a product of human error, it took a good 2-3 hours to understand what was going on. From the start, no key on, no instrument cluster power up, headlights stayed on all the time (quickly killing the battery) and most importantly NO lights on the VCM and no communication with any modules. All fuses double and triple checked okay.

I had 12v at the DLC but I found out of the 2 grounds at the connector only one was good. Pin 5 ground 201 was open. When I applied a good ground to that wire at the DLC the vehicle came to life.

What I came to find out when I pulled the ACM out was when the trucking company was installing a two-way radio they drilled down through the top of the instrument panel and right through one little 20 gauge wire (rendering the vehicle useless). Repaired the wire and all is good.

I had one similar to that, that was towed in after a shop installed an aftermarket trailer brake controller. It turned out that they had cut the connector off that was connected to nothing, dead-ending the main HS CAN+ and HS CAN- circuits to the BCM. What I find stupid is how a very important circuit goes through that connector instead of being contained in the main instrument panel harness.

Originally Posted By: Matt_Saunoras

Funny you should ask. As it stands right now, I have replaced the main underhood harness as well as the transmission harness, only to be not much further ahead, other than the fact that I managed to bring the cluster back to life to get the actual mileage. I have since started an extensive Hotline contact on this issue which has now escalated to having an FSE involved. He was just actually present yesterday, only to repeat the tests I had already done. The higher ups are now instructing me to install a new PCM by using manual vehicle data entry which I'm not optimistic that it's going to get us any further ahead.
Okay. I got the new PCM installed. No go on that. Big surprise. I now have two field reps working with me on this one. And the next items on the shopping list are (insert drumroll here).................. an ABS module and TCM.

I've got a brand new escape that's giving me problems. First time I looked at it the battery tested bad and I didn't know about the BMS reset. That gave me a bunch of problems.

Now it's back for the same intial concern of the instrument cluster loosing power etc while driving. Not verified yet but it gave me over 50 module communication and HS can codes from what's likely every module on that network. I have no idea what I'm going to do with this thing.

I just finished another set of coolers, cac tubes and one injector on the most half assed truck I've ever seen in my life. The turbo pedeastal was broken from being completely loose and the cold side cac was cracked and taped up. It must have been like that for a while because the engine bay was soaked in oil from the boost leak. I had a nightmare time geting the turbo lined back up to the y-pipe I had to loosen the entire assembly and realign it.

I'm assuming you changed the battery. I know nothing about new Escapes, but I do know a bad battery can cause a shitload of false codes, dashboard problems and comm problems. Do a complete charging system check, too, like ACV, voltage drops, brush bounce, etc. Drive it with the alt inop and see if your codes return. Dirty power will piss off every module causing exactly what you describe....

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I don't know much about the BMS reset. Is there anything I should know?

BMS would be Battery Monitoring System. Started in about 2010(?) on some models. The early ones had an inductive pick up on the ground cable and another on the generator cable. I haven't had the chance to become familiar with the generation 2 (my term) systems yet.

Why a battery monitor reset becomes important is because of "load shedding". If the charging system requirements exceed the ability of the charging system to maintain battery voltage, the BCM will start to "shed loads" - that is to say it will start shutting down "non-critical" systems. An owner may perceive that a particular accessory or feature has become non-functional when the concern might be a problem with the charging system or that the BCM is mistaken about the battery state of charge.

A word for others... I first learned of this technology when I noticed the inductive pick ups on an F150. Other things that may have snuck by some of you include over-running clutches on alternators as well as other changes to help with NVH, etc.

As well, it becomes important for even the simplest of tasks to at least access the WSM and, if nothing else, check for any warnings (usually in bold print and usually there are many of them).

Last thought for the post... I'm sure many of you have run into some of the effects of MOS FET circuits. These circuits can sense over-current situations and will shut down a circuit. One customer actually fixed the tailights on his 550 but they still would not illuminate. He spent something like 3 weeks of his spare time fighting a losing battle when all it needed was to have the SJB codes cleared. Others of you may have noticed that you can replace a faulty turn signal bulb, but they will still flash fast until you clear codes.

Moral of the story - RTFM - even for the most basic of jobs.

Originally Posted By: lmorris

Posted Image

550 HP Shelby in for an 800 HP supercharger upgrade. :rockon:

Are you going to be road testing that puppy after the install? :grin::evil:

Maybe, if we ever get the tuning figured out. What a frigging gong show. The supplied SCT tuner won't work. The fuel pump booster box needs a pressure switch input from somewhere, but the install instructions don't mention where to install the supplied pressure sensor. :mad:

To top it all off we start the big move to the new shop tomorrow and this thing won't run.... :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a left bank of injectors in a 09 E-350 ambulance. I'm honestly embarassed but this thing is majorly kicking my ass. I've never really worked on a 6.0 e-series before.

I'm off to go cry myself to sleep now

I need all the e-series tips I can get. I'm a little late getting into this game

That ambulance is done and gone but not before finding out the heater hoses are on intergalactic back order. I thought I smelled a little coolant so I called a friend who works on transit buses and he told me about the problems. I gave the cust the option of installing a T barb fitting for now. The leak isn't bad, but it's there.

They want to bring another ambulance down for me to work on. Possible EGR issues? Not sure yet.

sigh, and a new chapter begins.

Got the other one in, needs coolers and a few (ahem 4ish) injectors. A little more diag before I get into it.

does the blue spring fuel pressure regulator kit fit in the e-series secondary housing? I've been upselling these with a lot of positive feedback from customers.

I've had a few interesting jobs in my bay recently. Assembled and installed a #s and date correct 302dz engine in a 69 camaro Z28. Am currently rebuilding the original holley 780 carb (43 years old) to put on it as well. Last week replaced a crankshaft on a 66 corvette 327 b/c the crankshaft pulley fell off and ate the snout all to hell. And to think I work at a ford dealer....

Found the regulator kit. 4C2Z-9T517-AA is the part number for an econoline. I will find out tomorrow if it includes the stiffer blue spring.

I'm a bit puzzled on the labor times for an e-series. What are you guys charging for 8 injectors? What about coolers?

Found the regulator kit. 4C2Z-9T517-AA is the part number for an econoline. I will find out tomorrow if it includes the stiffer blue spring.

I'm a bit puzzled on the labor times for an e-series. What are you guys charging for 8 injectors? What about coolers?

Yes, the updated fuel pressure regulator spring is included in the part number listed above. It does NOT include the regulator cover like it does on F-Series.

As far as labour goes on an E-Series, I pretty much charge double the labour hours for the jobs above, as I would normally charge on an F-Series.

I did remove the left engine mount to get access to the right valvecover. The mount did fight me coming out and going back in. I also had to remove the secondary alt and all of the front bullshit that goes along with it.

I found the left valvecover didn't seem to fight me as much with the engine jacked up slightly on the left side.

The intake/turbo removal was all very straight forward and didn't take near the amount of effort I thought it would. Obviously not as quick as an F-series but still not bad.

I wish I had another one to do. Didn't do anything at work today