Upfitter Switch Wiring Information

Rate this topic

"Upfitter Switches" which are those factory installed accessory toggle switches mounted on the dash just right of the steering column are great for adding stuff. These switches are for customers and body builders to wire up lights, PTO's, Stationary Elevated Idle Control (SEIC) and other accessories. The following link should answer any-and-all questions you could possibly have concerning this topic.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/q117.pdf

• 5 months later...

I can't find a kit persay but the pieces you need are

5C3Z-13D730-AAA BANK OF 4 SWITCHES

5C3Z-14A303-AA HARNESS

and there is a little cubby piece that I don't have the # at my finger tips that you may or may not need depending on if it has the brake controller or not.

Here is a link to the kit we sell it has all 3 #\'s listed in it I still can't find any bulletins or releases on where Ford is offering a kit.

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done one myself but the tech in the next bay alluded to some "gotchas" on the one he did. He figures his next one will go much smoother so they can't be much more than a touch of brain-fade.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

As long as we are talking about SEIC. I know I saw an article back in 05 or 06 that told you exactly what to do to wire the truck to idle up to 1200 with the flip of an upfitter switch. Now that I need it I cant find it. Anybody remember where to find it. I have read throught the articles at the fleet ford site and cant find what I am looking for. It was a really easy letter to follow, told you what wires to use and what resistor to use for the rpm you would you like. Thanks for the help guys. I will have to read through when I have more time I am sure I missed it.

I HAVE A TRUCK HERE THAT HAS A HAY BAIL LIFT/ROLLER ON THE BACK OF IT - IT HAS A BELT DRIVEN PTO, BUT NO ELEVATED IDLE CONTROL - KEEPS GOING THROUGH ALTERNATORS - PARTLY BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS PUT A 110A ALTERNATOR ON IT, BUT I SUSPECT ALSO DUE TO THE FACT IT'S GOT ALL THE EXTRA LOAD ON IT AND STILL ONLY RUNNING AROUND 700 RPM.

I'VE NEVER MESSED WITH ELEVATED IDLE CONTROLS, AND WAS WONDERING WHAT COULD BE DONE FOR THIS TRUCK, IT IS OFTEN USED TO ROLL OUT THE ROUND HAY BAILS, SO NEEDS TO WORK BOTH STATIONARY AND AT SLOW SPEEDS - 5 - 15 MPH.

ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

I HAVE A TRUCK HERE THAT HAS A HAY BAIL LIFT/ROLLER ON THE BACK OF IT - IT HAS A BELT DRIVEN PTO, BUT NO ELEVATED IDLE CONTROL - KEEPS GOING THROUGH ALTERNATORS - PARTLY BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS PUT A 110A ALTERNATOR ON IT, BUT I SUSPECT ALSO DUE TO THE FACT IT'S GOT ALL THE EXTRA LOAD ON IT AND STILL ONLY RUNNING AROUND 700 RPM.

I'VE NEVER MESSED WITH ELEVATED IDLE CONTROLS, AND WAS WONDERING WHAT COULD BE DONE FOR THIS TRUCK, IT IS OFTEN USED TO ROLL OUT THE ROUND HAY BAILS, SO NEEDS TO WORK BOTH STATIONARY AND AT SLOW SPEEDS - 5 - 15 MPH.

ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Single or dual alternators? I ask this because we covered a similar situation a while back with a truck that had the dual alt's switched and causing alt failures. IIRC there is a idle up kit available.

Year?

If you feed 12v to the PTO wire with the park brake on, the truck should idle up to 1200 rpm. I have it set up on my truck to idle at 1200 when it's going to be running without load on it for longer than about 5 minutes.

I LOOKED THROUGH THE DOCUMENTS YOU HAVE LINKED ON HERE, AND THINK I CAN GET IT WIRED IN - CAN I USE AN UPFITTER SWITCH TO ACHEIVE THE IDLE UP RATHER THAN THE PARK BRAKE - IT NEEDS TO MAINTAIN THE HIGHER IDLE WHILE MOVING SLOWLY THROUGH THE FIELDS.

If memory serves correctly, the parking brake needs to be activated to allow the higher idle, as well as one of the upfitter switches wired in to enable it on. I don't know if the parking brake can be substituted for anything else to enable it to work with vehicle moving.

WHAT KIND OF TIMES ARE YOU CHARGING FOR THIS?

I have only installed ONE upfitter switch kit and it was a pre-2008 truck. I recall it was 1 hour labor which is generous. I also hooked up one of the switches to the idle control circuit and exposed the wires for the customer while I was in there. This is plug and play stuff....

UPFITTER SWITCHES ARE ALREADY INSTALLED ON THIS TRUCK, I HAVE TO INSTALL THE RESISTOR FOR IDLE UP AND HOOK UP TO THE SWITCH FOR THE IDLE UP, AND HOOK TWO OTHER CIRCUITS UP TO SWITCHES FOR POWER TO THE HYDRALIC CONTROLS ON THE BED.

Well that is pretty simple to do. Once you obtain the proper resistor it's all crimping or soldering. Are the other circuits for the hydraulic controls already wired in? This is where you need to look at the job and determine how much time you will need.

I usually quote straight time for something like that, and take my time (NOT FUCK THE DOG), but take my time and make the install as nice and neat as possible, solder everything and make it so if something goes awry down the road or further equipment needs to be added, it's easy to access the wiring and add/remove components as necessary.

Just my .02

• 1 year later...

Go HERE and click on Q-180R1. The resistor chart is on page 6 and and the nitty gritty starts on page 7... you want the SEIC diagram and the "fixed preset rpm" installation... Pay attention.. I've had a couple of guys wire up PTO_REF and PTO_RTN by mistake (instead of PTO_REF and PTO_RPM)... finish up by wiring PTO request to AUX switch 4 (the 10 amp one) and you're done.

Enablers.... park brake set - foot off service brake - APP at idle. So simple even a cave man can do it.

FWIW, we sell very few diesel trucks that do not have SEIC enabled... 6.4s especially can be cold hearted at low idle and -30C.

While you're at the BBAS site, look around... there's tone of good info there and (best of all) it's FREE!s

• 8 months later...