2000 F550 6.8 Head replacement

Rate this topic

ETS

I have angered the Ford God, 2000 F550 4x4 Quad Cab, 6.8, Automatic, With railroad conversion. Needs both heads due to plug threads gone along with inserts.

I was looking for opinions on the best way to do this repair. First sentence in WSM is remove engine. Don't think it will come out between core support and cowl without some .... help.

Do you guys do cab off on this one? Railroad conversion has a ton of shit to r&r to remove cab.

Truck is not rusty and fairly clean which is a plus.

Any opinions will be greatly appriciated!

How many plugs did this engine spit out? There is a thread repair kit that Ford authorizes that works well and you can install the inserts in chassis with the head on. I have done a couple. Just a thought.

Another Tech. in my shop has already done inserts in 3 cylinders. 2 right 1 left. Just spit one out on right side. I think right head is junk and possibly 1 piston. Bottom of insert was burned and melted along with plug electrode.

Mr Clayton, Even with V-10? Remove evap. case on right side?

This one was Cake compared to Sick-0. No problems did lift front of cab and set on wood 4x4 blocks for a little added clearance.

Thanks guys! You all are 5 head bangers! Posted Image

On a high-rail truck, I'd personally pull the engine out, depending on what kind of high rail equipment the truck has, most of them around here have an additional 18-24 inches of crap stacked in front of the front bumper. Not fun.

I have done a few 6.o and 6.4 hi rail engine repairs, cab off wasn't too bad. Not nearly as much to deal with as a 6.4 f-550 finning service truck.