Career Changes

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Don't read into this - it's a hypothetical question for discussion.

(Shut up Jim!) Posted Image

For those of us who have been in this business for any appreciable amount of time, at some point you look to do something else. The reasons are many. A guy could simply be tired of what he is doing, don't like the industry, can't make a living anymore or he simply wants to do something new and go for "more" as life progresses.

So I wonder what thoughts our members have had on career changes. Maybe a lateral move to a different part of the industry. Moving into service writing or management. Teaching related to this industry. Or perhaps a complete move off of the island and into the vast sea of vocations and professions.

Who has dreams or aspirations they would like to share? I know several of our members who used to be Ford techs have moved on. Your experiences are also welcome!

Of course, there are always those who stay in thier chosen profession until forced out for reasons beyond thier control or retirement! Always respectable too.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Employed tech, 1977-78

Self employed tech (mobile repair/shop), 1978-1986

Shop owner with employees, 1986-2003

Trainer with employees, 1997-present

Getting out of the shop was the best thing I ever did. Not saying it's the best move for everyone, but it sure was for me. My body weight went down, my BP and stress level went down dramatically, my income went up, my satisfaction increased greatly. I'm not a religious person, but I thank God every day for how lucky I've been in this life. I'm a very lucky man.

Posted Image

I dabbled in the ski industry and now I work for USPS delivering mail on my days off. I thought about hanging up the wrench and pursuing either of those professions but they just can't pay the bills like the dealership can. I want out of the flat rate portion of it but I still enjoy working on vehicles.

Hi Keith,

Since you asked.

Here's a plan that I have, and really want to implement.

I can sell everything I have here. I found 36.5 acres on Lake Champlain in Vermont.

With what I can get, even at a low estimate, I can buy the land, have two modular homes and a decent sized workshop built on the property. One to live in, the other as a home to rent for vacationers, both summer and winter for those who want to fish on the frozen lake. Everything would be paid for.

So a nice easy part or full time job, and the rental income would pay for everything.

07/11/12 marked my 20th year in. in that time I have run the gammet of the service side. tech, forman, bodyshop manager, service manager, writer, and have come full circle back to tech. I have made it to the top in every wich way one can in the service end of a dealership everything from top position, top pay, top hours produced etc... etc.

Im worn out and beat up and have come out on top as a loser looking back. I have little to show for the hours and greif.

If I only knew were to go and what door I could get to open I would more then likly pass threw it blindly with a smile on my face.

Odd thing is I still love my job,

(Shut up Jim!) Posted Image

Ummmmmmm, no Posted Image

I'ver tried my hand at several things... flogged Wynns snake oil product, owned a truck, ran a bulk fuel distributorship, sold parts...

There are two reasons (well, three if you need to play the health card) to take a sideways career step. More money, of course, would be most anyones first guess - or what you are changing to will be something you really want to do. If you can manage both of these results at the same time, well, it don't get much better.

My wifes cousin was a heavy duty mechanic/millwright. He got married, moved to the states and became a nurse. 20 years later, he is back to millwright.

If you pick what it is you want to do, go do it. Happiness is rarely a result of a hefty pay cheque (though it can be argued that money problems can cause grief, too).

No matter what I set my hand to, I always came back... because I like to fix things - I like to keep my hands and mind busy with "puzzles"..... My position can be stressful, frustrating and even maddening. But there is an old Scottish saying "What doesn't kill me can only make me stronger". I am currently on holidays - day 4, already. And I miss the excitement and challenges of my workday.

But, I suppose, being from Yorkshire, I may be a wee bit touched.

My coworkers and I have often talked about "exit strategy." We see around us that there are no old techs. Our dealer provides us with access to 401(k) but does not match contributions. There really is no good retirement for techs in our area.

One of my colleagues has started earning extra money buying and selling cars. You can buy/sell up to 50 times per year here and not be licensed - he's making a nice bit of change on the side doing this.

Another of my colleagues is not planning for the future at all - no retirement funding, living paycheck to paycheck, etc.

Then there is me - the state of MS has a great retirement plan for educators. And I got hired before Barbour got his mitts on it. Slight cut in pay, but once we get our housing situated, we'll be money ahead again. Right now I'm still making a house note as well as paying rent at school...

I'm not doing what I love... I found that once you get paid to do something, the joy in it diminishes... So I do what I like, and can do beyond my years as a tech, and save what I love for the evenings and weekends.

I've been pulling wrenches since 1989. With a year off 1990-91 because I was let go due to lack of work and drove a delivery truck till I was hired on at Midas. I have always wanted to get into home construction. Now more-so because my house needs some doors and windows done and the roof soon to follow.

Leon... be careful of the renovation trap. I built a 700 square foot addition to our home and I'm completely redoing the interior. My loving bride has been living in a construction zone for far too many years.

Its an interseting topic for me, one which I have thought about since the first year I started at the dealership(that was 21 years ago). Thought about going back to get a degree to teach. Then married a teacher! I guess without getting into it too much, You have to have a dream or thought and then make a plan and stick to it. I believe God has a plan and somtimes it changes fast other times it takes years. Bill Gates refered to his fortunes like this...You have to be in the right place at the right time and then recognize the opertunity when it arrises. So if you know what you want, them put yourself into the right place.

Brad,

You've got me curious, expensive in what way? I can't see it costing more than here in NJ, or is it?

Property taxes alone, I have to put away more than $600/mo (just about an acre), and that's low for here. I've put off doing renovations on the kitchen and some outside renos due to the instant slamming I'll get.

No issues with snow, buy a beater, with winter tires, I'd be fine.

600 a month for taxes thats crazy, i have a 1400 square foot house and 1 acre in indiana, my property taxes for the year are 265.00

I've wanted to go back to school for welding but I don't have the time and don't want the tution bill right now (not to mention learning a new trade all over again). Flat rate is killing my mental stamina. I like what I do but I'm not a crook, I can't cut corners all day long like I've seen many career techs do in the past. We charge top dollar for repairs yet the customer isn't getting their moneys worth half the time. The warranty situation makes it no better, it guarantees work but you can't make a living on warranty time

I've wanted to go back to school for welding but I don't have the time and don't want the tution bill right now (not to mention learning a new trade all over again). Flat rate is killing my mental stamina. I like what I do but I'm not a crook, I can't cut corners all day long like I've seen many career techs do in the past. We charge top dollar for repairs yet the customer isn't getting their moneys worth half the time. The warranty situation makes it no better, it guarantees work but you can't make a living on warranty time

I wish I could bottle (or at least quantify) whatever it is that I did in my life. My hourly rate is slightly less than our top flat rate guys (hourly rate is based on earned Ford certifications). I am not flat rate and my efficiency is seldom called into question... mind you, I work like a dog - usually from just after 7:30 Ayem to nearly 6 PM most days. I work on regularly scheduled customer vehicles (read that as have to be done today) as well as driveway stuff, help apprentices and techs with opinions, advice and direction, explain things to service advisers so that they can sound knowledgeable when talking to customers, quelling riots, putting out fires and generally trying to make sure the earth does not stray from its appointed orbit.

There is never a dull moment and there are many small victories in a day, enough to make you feel you are doing "something". It started out as being a shop foreman, but not so much as what appears to be the US definition. I guess shop mentor might be closer.

But if this fat old grade 8 drop-out can do it.... consider it.... work toward it.

I work on regularly scheduled customer vehicles (read that as have to be done today) as well as driveway stuff, help apprentices and techs with opinions, advice and direction, explain things to service advisers so that they can sound knowledgeable when talking to customers, quelling riots, putting out fires and generally trying to make sure the earth does not stray from its appointed orbit.

That would look good on my resume. Can I use it? Posted Image

I've been seriously considering taking a job at a local fleet. I have an offer on the table that expires at the end of August... I just need to figure out if shift work, onion dues, on call weeks and 40 hour pays are worth it considering it will include very good benefits, a pension and less of a drive... I'm waiting for somebody at work (or Ford) to piss me off to help me make a decision, but right now everything is quite peachy.

I find this happens everytime I get a somewhat attractive offer. It's like everybody (somehow) knows, and they tread on egg-shells until it's too late for me to accept an offer... then the fit hits the shan!

Opportunity does not knock too often in our lives, and it's up to us to detemine if it's opportunity knocking, or a vacuum cleaner salesman at the door!