Shut Down Noise

Rate this topic

The old owner of the company rolled in today with this 2012 6.7L for a DEF concern and also mentioned a noise when he shut the truck down.

So we looked at it and sure enough you turn the key off and wait a few seconds, you hear what sounds like a couple actuators click then a chattering/hoot sound starts then slowly dissipates. It is vacuum bleeding down and if you put your hand on the wastegate actuator you can feel it.

Anybody run into this?

I am not sure if it's the actuator itself or something else causing vacuum to bleed off and it is resonating through the actuator. He was waiting and I didn't have time to mess with it...

• 3 weeks later...

Sep 08 2012 5080 -2011-2012 6.7L PICKUP TRUCK - BUZZING UNDER HOOD AFTER SHUTDOWN

SOME 2011-2012 F250-450 SUPER DUTY PICKUP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A 6.7L DIESEL ENGINE MAY EXHIBIT A BUZZING NOISE FROM UNDER THE HOOD AFTER THE ENGINE IS SHUT OFF. THE BUZZING NOISE IS CAUSED BY NORMAL VACUUM BLEED OFF IN THE VACUUM SYSTEM RESULTING IN THE WASTE-GATE SOLENOID BUZZING. THIS NOISE NORMALLY LASTS FOR APPROXIMATELY 30 SECONDS. ENGINEERING HAS REVIEWED RETURNED COMPONENTS AND DETERMINED THIS IS A NORMAL VEHICLE CHARACTERISTIC. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THIS NOISE. CHASSIS CAB VEHICLES DO NOT APPLY TO THIS ARTICLE BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EQUIPPED WITH A WASTE-GATE.

Well that's all fine and dandy BUT customers do not like the fact that their trucks start making noises like this after owning the truck for some time and thousands of miles. Most customers make the argument that: "My truck didn't make that noise when it was new!" Ford calls this a normal vehicle characteristic which I don't always agree with. The condition and the causal part may not affect vehicle operation but customers of these expensive trucks find the noise quite objectionable.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I love this site more and more now that I am away from the dealer. You guys and the information posted here have helped me out time and time again. Sometimes just a reassurance I am on the right track is huge in itself sometimes. I am a little behind the 8ball with the 6.7 now as all of ours are under warranty in most cases and even though I have a P&A to do my own warranty work they will not allow me to work on the diesels even with my certification level.

I heard this noise today on this particular unit and remember reading about a similar concern here. Sure enough this is the thread and matched my noise I experienced. I figured I would do a video so you guys can hear it as well. This truck has 69k miles and has never had this noise up until about a week ago. Its a obvious problem and I think the SSM saying this is a normal noise is full of shit for lack of better terms!

Wow, that is something special right there! I'd definitely be unhappy if my truck made noises like that KOEO. Or at all, for that matter.

You guys sure do have a quiet shop, by the way. LOL

Tell me about the noise. Those guys bang wheels around all friggen day it gets real hard to hear at times. Never fails they get real noisy when your trying to diag something! That just goes to show you how loud that wastegate was...I did get this covered under DI btw.

Thats ok, moving next door into another shop very soon and Ill be away from all those tire monkeys!

Both are doing the same thing if you think about it. They are metered movement of air through an orifice. Next one I get in will read "Cow in can noise is normal operation for this vehicle."

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

interesting....so they want you to replace the vacuum harness for the solenoid yet how do you explain the concern being resolved with the replacement of the solenoid?

I have yet to see or hear of a repeat repair once you replace the solenoid. is the vacuum harness that much cheaper? :crazy:

• 1 month later...

So, what happened to it being "normal"? :scratch:

They were getting too many customers calling them to complain instead of believing us. I have replaced several of the solenoids and fixed the noise. I think I'll stick with the solenoids, it looks easier than replacing that vacuum harness.