Poor Quality Reman

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I have seems some bad stuff over the years but this one takes the cake. Our parts department recently sold a 2001 7.3L long block to an outside shop. They installed it and got it running. They quickly discovered that the engine was leaking oil from what they could tell was the HPOP gasket. I was involved by telephone for some unknown reason... the mechanic on the other end sounded like a whiner: "oh man, that fuel filter and the pump are so haaaaard to get to." Posted Image They were advised that they could repair it themselves and put in a claim through some parts deal.

The van endeded up in my bay via a flatbed. Posted Image (loser)

So I proceed to perform the oil leak diag with the already installed dye in the oil, and apparently the coolant too. No shit! We have a coolant leak as well. Hot damn!

I had to start pulling things off the engine and take a different look at things. First, I found the reservior cracked with no evidence of an impact or other damage that might explain the defect in this part. After removing the water pump I verified what we suspected was a crack... in the front cover. Again, no marks or evidence of how it got that way

How the fuck does this stuff end up in a REMANUFACTURED engine? Is this really a typical example of the parts we sell and install?

What is worse, in looking at the front cover with the water pump out, it looks like it has a lot of corrosion, a little rust accumulated in the nooks and crannies and some really weird un-identified white crap. Mind you this engine has probably less than 1/2 hour running time on it.

I was advised that I could make the necessary repairs under SPW... the engine is all but out of he van, parts are ordered. I wonder what else this engine has in store for us!

NOW I know why they dip these things in so much paint. If you can't polish a turd you can always coat it in 1/4 inch of paint!

We had a 6.0 FQR go into a 550 boom truck. Porous block - thing blasted pressurized oil out the side of it the second it fired up. Possibly the angriest I've ever seen any tech get ever.

I just put my brothers 7.3 back in his 97' crewcab. We opted to rebuild his engine instead of getting a reman. Im about 500 over the cost of the reman complete. However after hearing these stories I am glad I went the route I did with it. At least this way I know exactly what I have. . .and cant blame anybody but me if something leaks or doesnt work.

I'm about 500 over the cost of the reman complete.

And that doesn't include labor. This is a good example of why we don't rebuild things much anymore as it is usually more cost effective to install a remanufactured part. The problem is you lose confidence in the remanufacturer when you come across a situation such as this and I have had very few problems with Ford reman stuff over the years.

No Brad, this pile of garbage engine actually had new harnesses under the VC's. it ended up being a shorted injector. I just swapped the magnet and all was well.

The stupid thing passed all circuit tests including a load test. Had my test IDM on it and no change. I wonder what will be next or has this van seen the last of me?

I bet the trans doesn't make it much further. When I had it apart to remove the new engine the trans fluid was black... but we are only doing sublet warranty repairs for another garage that buys parts from us so I guess when the trans job get's botched guess who gets to fix it?