CAT C15 Acert blowby

Rate this topic

robp823

I have a CAT C15 Acert serial number NXS16141.Its a truck in a fleet that i help out with part time.The owner is concerned about blowby.I cant get any straight answers on how much oil its using.I inpsected the road draft tube and its fairly dry including around the oil pan.It does build up a considerable amount of pressure if you hold your hand over it for a few seconds.While its running it is smoking out the draft tube as well.I wanted to do a crank case pressure test.I was on the CAT SIS website under testing and adjusting and found the blowby test.It doesnt tell you how to do it though.It just gives you the tool number and a picture of it NEHS1087.It isnt just your typical orifice that you would stick in the road draft tube and measure inches of water.Its an electronic instrument with all sorts of adaptors.Looks like it actually has a pressure transducer that you put in the road draft tube.Had my parts department look up the price and its 5,000.00!Anyway if there is any CAT guys out there that can chime in that have maybe used alternate methods to test for this on this engine please chime in.ALso i cant even find a spec for what the crankcase pressure should be!

Yes i was suspecting the turbo or the air compressor but before i go condeming that id like to get an actual reading and compare it to the spec.Had that happen to be on a series 60 before where the turbo was pressurizing the crankcase.Good read though.What i really need to know what crankcase pressure spec is also if someone has some creative way of testing it without the 5000.00 tool.We do have a couple cummins and International ones draft tube adaptors at work with diffrent size orifices.

Relocate the turbo drain(s) (You said ACERT, right?) and re-evaluate.

Dump your air tanks and see if they're full of oil.

What style of drier is on the truck?

And verify the engine is using oil, or blowing it out the draft tube.

Our trucks have extensions on them to take it down past the axle, so its hard to determine if it's blowing oil there.

• 2 weeks later...

the only real accurate way to get a blowby reading is on the dyno. we actually compare the reading given by the tool to the hp reading. there is a mathematical equation used to compare the two readings. I dont remember the equation off hand. Perhaps take it to your local cat dealer for the test. NXS is a pre-07 engine if I remember correctly.I know we did have some turbo trouble on our 07' engines. If you do decide to bypass turbos I would suggest bypassing the turbos individually, to verify which has the trouble.

• 1 month later...

Worked at peterbilt during tech school and worked with the engine guys training. I than went to work at the local cat dealer as a truck engine technician for 4 years and ag equipment service tech for cat for 3 years after that. I now work at Cummins for the last 2 years. I made the change becuase I was tired of working 80- 100 hours a week and spending weeks at a time in the oil patch, I now work 4 10s and love my three day weekends. However my blood is CAT yellow and always will be.