Stall with no restart

Rate this topic

97' f350 manual trans. Engine was just overhauled, out on test drive and check engine light on for icp lower than desired. I expected this fault since whole engine was apart, died on me a couple times but restarted. Took truck out and pounded on it to bleed air. Parked and shut truck off, cleared all faults and it sat about 20 min. Started truck up to return to shop made it 300 feet and truck stalled, would not restart. Sat 10 min and would fire but die right away. Hooked up scan tool, checked faults and have continuous P0470 for exhaust back pressure.Monitor pids rpm was 170, vref 5.02, vpwr 12.34, ipr command 55% after cranking 20 seconds, icp_v is .38. that indicates to me no icp pressure building. I am leaning towards an ipr valve sticking or having issues. Just curious if I am missing anything or possibly on the right path. Thnaks for the input guys.

IPR nut fall off and let the magnet slide around?

I fixed one like that. Had been to four shops and they couldn't figure it out. Found the nut and spacer lying in the valley. I had the truck running 10 minutes after opening the drivers door. The owner was pissed!

I wish it were that easy, was the first thing I checked used to find that a lot on the 3126 cats. solenoid nut is tight, connector is in good shape and pins are securely in the connector. Could a guy back probe in the connector and get a duty cycle type of reading to verify the signal is getting to the ipr valve?

1. The nut falling off is easy but it's always set codes for me and been easy to diag. It can cause a wicked surge with the throttle- on acceleration the solenoid slides back causing no HP oil, the truck violenty decels, the solenoid slides forward, the engine accelerates, the solenoid slides back, causing a bizarre driveline wrapup.

2. Yes, you can use a Fluke set on duty cycle to get the same reading in percent for IPR command. (Early IH 3 boxes do not have IPR% in scan data so this is how you do it)

3. Checking voltage on the IPR return wire will also tell the story-

Approximate voltages-

10.5v KOEO is about right

12.0v idling

If it's 12.2-12.6 on the return wire the IPR driver is burned out of the PCM

If there's no voltage there's an open in the circuit from VBAT (the PCM relay) through the IPR and to the PCM.

Beware the service info may have the wrong voltages in it. (pinpoint voltages)

Good Luck!

Posted Image

so if the voltage is above 12.0 idling it is most likely a pcm problem, or if it is above 12.0 when it is acting up it is likely a driver problem in the pcm? I did notice one other odd thing. . . the batt light will come on at random a few minutes before it stalls. Is the pcm responsible for turning the light on as well? Just thinking out loud that maybe the pcm is at fault and showing multiple symptoms. . . that is if it is in charge of illuminating the batt light

The truck runs until it gets to operating temp than will stall out and not restart until it sits for an hour or two. will than start right up and run fine until it gets warm again. I have noticed that shortly before the stall, the battery light will flicker. Not going to say they are related yet. The truck had major engine damage to cylinder 7. Engine was completely overhauled( pistons, heads, oil pump, oil cooler, injectors, heui pump, water pump, turbo). I got this truck because of this issue, and it sat 2 years before the repairs were made. I fully expect this truck to have bugs for a while. I will troubleshoot further and let you guys know what I come up with. The truck was at 2 ford dealers and 2 indy shops for this exact issue before the previous owner gave up and sold it.

Get a small ice pack and put it on the IPR valve for a minute or two when she stalls and see if it will start up right away. Most IPR's I see go bad are when they get hot.

Get a small ice pack and put it on the IPR valve for a minute or two when she stalls and see if it will start up right away. Most IPR's I see go bad are when they get hot.

Or just pour some ice water on the IPR, it will have the same affect.

I just picked up a new ipr valve. it is my brothers truck and I finally convinced him that even if the ipr isnt the problem now it will be down the road. Since there was a major engine failure there could be debris caught in there that is causing the problem or may cause a problem in the near future. Now if I only had the time to get back to it. I have only replaced 2 ipr valves in the past but they too had the problem hot. will advise what I find hopefully this long weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed new ipr valve yesterday. Test drove yesterday 25 miles, all was good. All pids picture perfect. Shut it off and restarted after hot soak of 30 minutes several times and all was good. Parked it last night and plugged it in. Went out this morning, started and it popped right off but oil pressure gauge never moved. Truck ran for 20 seconds or so and quit. No indications yesterday of any oil pressure issues. Checked oil level and is on the full mark. From what I read there is only two valves in the whole low pressure oil system. Is it possible a stuck filter bypass valve is dumpin all the oil back to the pan and not letting it build oil pressure? From my understanding of the system operation and flow diagram I should still get oil to my high pressure oil pump? Anybody run into this before? New oil pump was installed 50 miles ago as part of a complete overhaul, was a ford pump form the ford overahul kit. Thanks for the help guys, this truck is killing me.

You say oil level is full, is that in the HP reservoir or the oil pan, or both? I vaguely remember there being a valve in the block that could do funky things with HP oil supply, but if the reservoir is full when it stops that shouldn't be it. The only thing that I have seen cause a loss of low pressure oil, especially after engine service, is silicone floating in the pan blocking off the pickup screen. Some guys seem to apply silicone with a mop and bucket with obvious results.

Both the pan and reservoir were full. The engine stalled with no oil pressure because the reservoir went dry due to the lack of oil pressure. I am going to drag it back in the shop this weekend and try to figure it out. I will imagine the oil pump will be coming back off. Just hope it isnt a pick-up tube issue and the oil pan has to come off. . . . . My plan was to put a manual gauge in and verify no lube oil pressure, put an extra gallon of oil in and see if it helps if not get the back of the truck as high up as it will go and try again(should rule out a pick up problem). Than pull the filter and inspect the bypass valve in the filter base. Dump the oil and inspect pick up tube with borescope. If nothing found there than I guess fill it with oil and new filter. verify it still has the issue, if so off the oil pump comes for inspection.

My plan was to put a manual gauge in and verify no lube oil pressure

The best place to do that is in this picture where the red circle is. You get a very accurate reading from the pump before oil pressure has a chance to bleed off in problem areas.

Posted Image

Just remove that pipe plug and install your gage.

You mention that the oil pump was replaced... Did anyone think to inspect the front cover for wear/scoring while the pump was out?

We need to be careful that we don't put ourselves on auto pilot (something I can do far too often) when we start slapping parts.

I looked at the cover and did notice a small scratch in the cover where the oil pump is. But it was barely noticeable and less than a half inch long. I so hope that is not the cause of the issue. The weather turned to crap here so wont be getting it into the shop this weekend. How small a scratch will cause an issue? I have never run into a base oil pressure problem on these before, always been high pressue system or fuel system issue. Obviously i dont see the volume of these engines you guys do, the help is always appreciated. thanks again.

Installed manual gauge and no oil pressure. I overfilled the engine and lifted the back end as high as my jack would lift it, still no oil pressure. Pulled the oil pump off and the front cover lookd great an the oil pump parts facing the front cover looked good. Pulled the gerotor pieces out of the housing and did not find any damage to the teeth of the gerotor parts. Flipped the pieces over and inspected them along with the pump housing and they are chewed to shit. There is what looks like metal transfer on the outer gerotor in three spots. The only thing I can think of is there was debris on that side of the pump or a small flake or piece of metal from the casting came loose and got in there. I cut the oil filter open and did not find any metal in it. Am going to ford in the morning for a new pump. Just wish I could pinpoint for sure the root cause of what happened here. . . . I just cant see it pulling anything up in the pump from the pan and it getitng in that location and doing the damage it did, without coming from the pump itself. I did not take the new pump apart and inspect and clean it or measure it before installing it. I will be looking the new oil pump over very closesly before installing it.

The pickup screens are very coarse and will let small boulders into the pump. Other possible problems causing your trouble can be an air bleed valve that has fallen out of the front cover allow all oil to pour directly into the gearcase, or the pickup tube has cracked. Both are common on Gen 1s. I have pics of both if you need them, and they're probably on DTS somewhere already. Hope you have neither.

Good Luck!

Posted Image

I dont think the pickup tube is the issue because I overfilled the crankcase 2 gallons and picked the truck up in the back about 2 feet and it did not help, anything is possible though. The air bleed in the front cover I am not aware of??? I know about the check ball in the block for the hpop reservoir. How can I check the air bleed to see if it has an issue? The service manual does not mention anything about a valve in the front cover. Do you think my oil pump damage is the cause of the no oil pressure or a result of something else? Thanks for the info Bruce

I just checked a 97 today by lifting rear off ground. Oil pressure jumped right up once we got it high enough. Building 3100+ ICP @ 54% IPR but still didn't start. It isn't cranking fast enough IMO, but I did not notice actual RPM reading.

I will do further inspection of cranking system. Customer has approved engine removal but I would like to hear it run first.

I suspect it has battery cable issues. Sounds like it's cranking on one battery. Need to get an amp clamp.

Sorry for the hyjack. Point was, I will snap picture of pump screen/tube if cracked. Going to be a couple days before we pull it apart.

It's on the Gen1 7.3 engines and falls out of the rear side of the front cover causing no low oil pressure. I'm not sure if it is present on your model year. When it happens it's really difficult to diag.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/forums/ubb...=true#Post41843

Posted Image