Looking out on the horizon...

Rate this topic

Alex Bruene

Some of our warranty administration and management staff attended a meeting/training session at Ford of Canada yesterday... There are apparently new policies and procedures being implemented, and it appears that we're in for a lot of fun in the future, and if we think warranty has been difficult to deal with, we ain't seen nothing yet!

The dealer principles need to go after this problem. Ford and the dealer are partners and Ford can't be the big ugly boss. Dealers make money on warranty repairs but a low margin on it. Ford's quality and engineering determine if the vehicle ever rolls in or is towed in so they can't place all blame on dealers. The occasional build errors are rarely the cause of big expense to Ford, it is usually a lower cost decision that backfires. If they gamble then they need to be responsible for paying the gambling debt, NOT the techs.

Try getting out of paying for a comeback fixed while you were on vacation due to time stamp errors............I bet that one won't work for you.

Plain and simple. If they ain't gonna PAY, I ain't gonna PLAY!! The vehicle sits outside to grow plants under while the owner takes it up with FoMoCo directly.

BTW Alex, that was a funny post of yours on the Freestar Recall thread on the message board. Noticed how quickly our posts were deleted?

BTW Alex, that was a funny post of yours on the Freestar Recall thread on the message board. Noticed how quickly our posts were deleted?

I know. Good times. I've actually had people from FMC call my service manager and complain about my conduct on the message board. They don't like the truth being told when it comes to problems they cause for us.

Now before this topic goes rampant, what the hell are we talking about here? WHAT new policies and procedures being implemented?

I guess they aren't really new, but they will be taking claims reviewing to a new level of anal.

Just make sure that your 3 C's are detailed, and put as much info as you can when it comes to writing a story.

Thats all fine and dandy, but what happens when the writers run out of available space to type my whole story into the ro? Lots of my big diesel claims they have to leave out punctuation and abreviate every available time to get the whole story in. I document and explain everything.

Thats all fine and dandy, but what happens when the writers run out of available space to type my whole story into the ro? Lots of my big diesel claims they have to leave out punctuation and abreviate every available time to get the whole story in. I document and explain everything.

What he said.

I used to get claims all the time that I had performed to review.

"Uhh... I never fucking wrote that!"

That being said - perfect example of that is the bullshit freestar trans recall. Warranty works out to like 7ish hours to change the converter. Now the recall pays four and change? Go die in a fire!

How long before the tech has to pay FoMoCo to fix stuff?

How long before the tech has to pay FoMoCo to fix stuff?

Some of us already do. Those of us who've taken the initiative to buy our own IDSs and then have to pay THEM for the yearly subscription to fix THEIR shit for THEIR shitty tmes.

I know. Good times. I've actually had people from FMC call my service manager and complain about my conduct on the message board. They don't like the truth being told when it comes to problems they cause for us.

Well, you know what they say about the truth don't you? Kind of hurts doesn't it? So what exactly do the goons from FMC expect your circus manager to do, yank your ass into his office to give your little pee pee a big WHACK?

Originally Posted By: AlexBruene

Well, you know what they say about the truth don't you? Kind of hurts doesn't it? So what exactly do the goons from FMC expect your circus manager to do, yank your ass into his office to give your little pee pee a big WHACK?

I dunno about you guys, but I don't have a little pee pee.

LMFAO couldn't resist.

No, you're probably supposed to go for 'sensitivity' training after posting something confrontational on the interwebs.

Interwebs.

Serious business.

Listening to all this shit makes me damned happy I got out when I did. I don't miss the bullshit politics one bit. I do miss the technology and the pride in being a professional technician, but the politics killed all of that pride on a daily basis for me.

We had a meeting with our warranty clerk to lay down the rules. One of the things brought up was that we can no longer claim for NPF. Ok, then I guess if I can't duplicate the problem, there's nothing in OASIS, the description is vague and the service writer can't give me any more info then I'm not gonna spend much time trying to fix it. My crystal ball never came back from the repair shop and didn't work originally. Posted ImagePosted Image Condition code 42 is overused(huh?), Don't use 999A(then why is it listed), Don't use 1007D(I never did anyhow). It would help if the service writers could provide more info. For example, is it a no start, or a no crank?, or another one: heater does not work. Is that no heat or no blower fan? The more time I waste trying to figure out what the customer concern is, the less I can waste on diagnosis. Posted Image

That sums up some of the things I heard about that meeting. Ford does not want to pay for NPF diagnosis (although it was in the "Warranty For Techs" course we all had to take last year). Our ASM apparently questioned them about it... They basically said, if you can't duplicate the problem, release the vehicle. Spend no time on it. Let customer satisfaction take the back seat, I guess.

They also went on about how many "Master Techs" they have reviewing claims now-I've been to school with some of them, and I know why they're working at Ford, rather than on the bench!

There was also some sort of "Imperial Grand Puba of Warranty" present, who was once upon a time a service manager at a dealer in the states. He was boasting about how he turned the warranty situation around at the store he was at by "shutting down" the techs that were producing too much, because the only way you can make 12 hours a day is by stealing warranty, so those techs quit and went to "screw up" warranty at other dealerships....

How is condition code 42 over used? 9 out of 10 TSBs have it as a condition code!

Even though a TSB directs you to do a certain repair if you retrieve a particular trouble code, quoting "Blah, blah, blah and blah, blah, blah as per TSB yada-yada-yada" will no longer suffice. We still need to attach test results to the hard copy.

It looks like it's going to become more of an "us v. them/them v. us" situation than it's ever been.

I do my best to document my repairs sometimes even snapping some digital images and printing them to be included with the repair. Larger repairs have always gone straight into review... perhaps that is due to the "new dealer" status I can't say but I frequently have to supply an update or further explain a test that was performed or why this or that part was replaced. My write up for my warranty administrator usually involves a little sarcasm which she carefully edits out.

All the idiots at Ford are looking to do is keep warranty expenses under control and make sure us idiots in the field are not screwing up on their dime. Understandable but annoying. Sometimes I wonder if they have flags set for individual technicians for "special reviewing."

From my brief introduction to diesel warranty claim audits, when I was going to start that job for FoMoCo... I don't think you're far off.

Although they did tell me a certain opcode (flavor of the week) can automatically trigger a claim review.

I just remembered another thing: if you claim for a pinpoint test, there is a sheet you have to fill out with a spot for every test step and you have to enter the result of that test. Are they going to pay us to have secretaries now? Not likely. I seem to remember getting into a trade that didn't require me to do a lot of writing, because I HATE writing. Posted Image

Yeah because for .3 I want to spend another 15 minutes filling out fucking paperwork after I got hosed out of .4 pay because it took me .7 to do the stupid pinpoint test.

Correction statement: I replaced parts until the concern was fixed.

Unfortunately it is the customer who suffers in the end. Ford doesn't want to pay to fix their car, the dealer doesn't want to pay the tech to fix their car, and the tech doesn't want to fix their car for nothing, so how are they going to get their car fixed? I have always said I feel bad for anyone who needs to get their car fixed. And the reputation of this trade continues it's downhill slide...

I'll be honest.... I have no idea how anyone makes a flat rate living with diesel work. I look at these labor times and for anyone like me starting out it's simply not possible. I take pride in shit being fixed right but my paycheck suffers big time. Am I supposed to wait out flat rate? Is it ever possible it'll go away?

I just remembered another thing: if you claim for a pinpoint test, there is a sheet you have to fill out with a spot for every test step and you have to enter the result of that test. Are they going to pay us to have secretaries now? Not likely. I seem to remember getting into a trade that didn't require me to do a lot of writing, because I HATE writing. Posted Image

Bruno, I use that sheet very often since it was released. Quite frankly, I find it makes me a few extra hours a week by finding operations that I missed out on charging...

Quote:
Correction statement: I replaced parts until the concern was fixed.

I have has 2 pinpoint tests this week that read, replace said part#1, retest, if concern is still present replace said part #2. Example, 2011 f-350, wipers come on by themselves. Confirmed concern, ppt has you monitor the wiper switch pids in the steering column control module. If any pid reads on, when the switch is off, replace the switch, retest, if the concern is still present replace the sccm. On the bright side, it is a one step ppt for .3 .

The sccm includes a switch, so if you end up replacing the sccm, you replace the switch twice.