Strange Screeching Noise

Rate this topic

I've got one here that is making a noise that I don't think I've ever heard on any 6.0L that I've wrenched on before. It makes a horrible screech sound when you goose the throttle very quickly. It seems like someone else has gotten their hands on it before me because it appears there's belt dressing all over it. I ran it with the belt off and it still makes the same noise under the same condition. If you raise the RPMs slowly, it doesn't make the noise. I tried unplugging the VGT connector and the noise SEEMED to stop. I'm leaning towards the turbo being the source of the noise. Anyone else ever come across this?

Have had a few turbo's make a noise on accel in the past. Possible CAC hose have a split in it that opens up under load, uppipe crack can cause noise as well. Just some suggestions, at least it should be retail !!

Sounds like you got yourself a classic case of an egr cooler gasket not in correctly or turbo was separated and not completely seated when put back together.

See if the egr cooler has been replaced recently.

Sounds like you got yourself a classic case of an EGR cooler gasket not in correctly or turbo was separated and not completely seated when put back together.

See if the EGR cooler has been replaced recently.

Ditto, I have seen both of these. The EGR gasket under the manifold drove me absolutely nuts. Don't forget about a cracked y-pipe... may have just started to leak.

The truck is a late build 2004 F-350 SRW that I replaced a set of coolers over a year or so ago. I remember servicing the turbo on this truck too, during the repair. It has gone over 20,000 miles since that. This noise just began last week. I did happen to notice that one bolt missing on the turbo too when I was looking at it yesterday.

I also would suspect right up pipe. command on the vgt. should make it more noticable and easier to find/hear leak

Now that you mention it, I just remembered a 2005 truck that came in with a complaint of a "whistling" noise immediately upon engine startup that turned out to be a cracked right side up-pipe (EGR cooler side).

Hey give me some credit. For every ONE 6.0L truck I wrench on, most of you members here likely wrench on 1000.

Or the gasket between the EGR cooler and the up-pipe. Left this loose after changing a turbo on an econoline - got called away came back and fired it up and it was deafening.

Or the gasket between the EGR cooler and the up-pipe. Left this loose after changing a turbo on an econoline - got called away came back and fired it up and it was deafening.

Right on the money you are!!!!!

Posted Image

Any of you guys ever had the nut and stud on that clamp back off like it obviously did here?

Technically they cant "back off" but they can be left loose, not be fully seated during assembly and more commonly, the threads on the nut are stripped. This is common on a truck that has been apart more than once. I also see a lot of clamp studs pulled from the bands due to over tightening.

Glad you found it!

This is common on a truck that has been apart more than once. I also see a lot of clamp studs pulled from the bands due to over tightening.

Glad you found it!

I agree. I see this on CAC hose clamps too. You know you're overtightening it when you see the ears about to spread apart.

• 2 weeks later...