This is cool!

Rate this topic

Our matco guy was trying to sell these the other week. It had a hefty price tag at about $500 bucks. However if it saves me several hours and a lot of frustration it is perhaps worth the big price. Come to think of it I have several big ticket items in my box that dont get used every day or even week for that matter. Would really like to see one in action and try it out. Definitly looks like a very cool item.

We had a Cornwell tool guy demo one of those a few years ago very quick/clean heat.

I believe that is the same technology that is used in the 6.0 inductive heat PCM/ficm program to heat up the injectors.

I bought one to use on the 6.4 cab bolts to keep from melting the rubber mounts. I used it on two cabs and never used it again. It will heat the bolts to red hot but it takes longer than a torch. It would work good for areas you don't want to use a torch if you can get to it with the coil, like a siezed lug nut on an aluminum wheel.

I tried using it on a 6.7 cab the way the shop manual shows and the coils are to big to fit down through the hole in the floor to get to the nut. I even bought the accessory kit with all the different sizes of coils and none of them fit through the hole. I'd like Ford to show me how to do it.

the cab nuts don't have to be red hot to let the bolts break free. I use a #3 brazing tip on the torches and turn the flame down really low, maybe slightly more than a butane torch.

I used to heat up the heads of the bolts red hot and let the heat go up the threads to the locktite. If I have to heat the nut I just hit it with a little heat like you said. Now I don't heat the bolt heads anymore, I just pull the head lights and heat the nuts. On the second row of bolts I heat the nuts through the hole in the body underneath the cab. If the others don't come out with an impact I put a socket on the nuts.

I used to heat up the heads of the bolts red hot and let the heat go up the threads to the locktite.

I find that is usually enough, I do the same.

Originally Posted By: Fordracer
On the second row of bolts I heat the nuts through the hole in the body underneath the cab.

VERY risky as the rubber plugs in the access holes can melt and ignite with he carpet just above...

I always access the top nuts, heat them with a small torch and gun the bolts off. I don't even try to take the bolts out any other way.

same, a little bit of heat and if necessary hold the nut with a 7/8s socket and gun them out. It's usually not that much trouble to access the nuts inside of the cab. For the front bolts I do heat the nut through the hole and hold it with a bent 7/8s wrench

• 2 weeks later...