If it weren't for bad luck.....

Rate this topic

mchan68

.... I wouldn't have any luck at all!!!

I have myself an interesting situation here, along with all the BS that I've been getting lately.

A 2003 F-250 plow/salter rolls onto our doorstep about a month ago for a complaint of "won't start without using ether". Long story short, FICM_SYNC and SYNC PIDs weren't switching from NO to YES. So, in with an engine harness and CMP and all is well. This thing is rusted so bad, the box is in dire need of replacement, never mind the grocery list of other issues with it.

About two weeks later, I see it again for a complaint of a lack of power steering assist. So, in with a new PS pump and pressure line, and all is good AGAIN, or so I thought. Our apprentice re-installs the plow onto the front of it to bring it around front to the waiting customer who just paid the bill to come and pick it up. Low and behold, the truck dies on him.

I go out there and scan it, and find the thing building up only 90PSI of ICP pressure while cranking the engine over. Tomorrow's conversation about this one should be real interesting. Why me?

My first question to the advisor is always the same, "How much money are they willing to spend on this truck?". Our advisors always tell customers we only guarantee what we fix today, if it quits tomorrow it's not our fault. If it gets you home then what we fixed worked and you may have other issues because we can't fix it if it doesn't act up here.

Okay, this truck is playing with me. I go out this morning after our apprentice disconnected the plow AGAIN, getting ready to push this sucker back into our shop. Just for S's and G's I try to fire it up, low and behold the thing fires up like nothing happened. I let it idle in the very spot where we left it, long enough to get it up to operating temperature and the ICP volts/psi and IPR duty cycle look completely normal at above 185 EOT. WTF?!!! Everything inside this engine is so rusted that I'm not too interested in opening up a bigger can of worms than has already been opened with the amount of money the owner has spent on it. After shutting it down several times and re-starting it's as if nothing happened.