my truck went on limp mopde

Rate this topic

hey guy im a diesel tech i did what i said ill never do i bought a 6.4. i got a smokeing deal on it had two melted pistons i rebulit the short block and replace one head and rocker arms and injectors i have about 6k on it now and it has never realy felt right i can tell when its in regn i can fell like a sight missand in the last week it set off the check engine light for the dpf being pluged i ceel the light and comes back on with in a few days but today it went in limp mode good thing i always have my ids with me got the code for engine oil over fill i ceel the light and drove home i was checking power balince and my #7 cly is +20 and number 2cly is -20 and fuel trim is +18 and -15 at idel what you guys think i should check?

A heavy truck DPF is a cartridge, looks like a giant air filter. They fit in a DPF cleaner with adapters and are cleaned with compressed air, with the ash vacuumed away. Since the light truck DPF is in a welded unit, I haven't been able to find any places that will clean them. The cleaning process an a filter that is not contaminated with oil, coolant, or fuel is just a flow test, then blow out the ash with compressed air from the outlet side, then another flow test to verify the result. They also watch for damaged filter cells while cleaning. If the filter is contaminated they bake it first, then clean it. I have been tempted to do a backyard cleaning on a 6.4 filter (leaf blower, or equivalent) that isn't contaminated, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

A heavy truck DPF is a cartridge, looks like a giant air filter. They fit in a DPF cleaner with adapters and are cleaned with compressed air, with the ash vacuumed away. Since the light truck DPF is in a welded unit, I haven't been able to find any places that will clean them. The cleaning process an a filter that is not contaminated with oil, coolant, or fuel is just a flow test, then blow out the ash with compressed air from the outlet side, then another flow test to verify the result. They also watch for damaged filter cells while cleaning. If the filter is contaminated they bake it first, then clean it. I have been tempted to do a backyard cleaning on a 6.4 filter (leaf blower, or equivalent) that isn't contaminated, but haven't had the opportunity yet.

Jim will be chiming in shortly with the Mexican Manual Regen.

Didn't work on the kids truck Posted Image

But it has worked in something less than 50% of the (not too many) efforts.

We looked at all the options (bear in mind my son doesn't buy much of the diesel he uses so consumption isn't an issue - and he is smart enough to avoid idling when possible) and replaced the DPF.

Reasons.... I have a grandson. I can continue to assume the moral high ground on emissions controls. It isn't against the law. No aftermarket electronics or gewgaws required. The original DPF lasted almost 300,000 kms. Most importantly - I consider myself a professional technician - had I done anything to defeat or modify this vital emissions control, I would have abdicated my right to call myself a professional.

A clean environment doesn't come cheap - BP proved that.

50% of the time, it works every time Posted Image

Our DPF trucks beat up filters BAD at work.

The DPF/SCR trucks aren't bad on DPF's but they eat urea at a rate of about 5 gallons every two days.

man this thing went on limp mode on me agen today i check the oil and its low but it gave me the code for oil over fill agen but its not but my dpf is done i just been too busy fixing other people trucks i havent't had time to work on my own but i deen to im getting a lot of like back pressure out the intake i can feel it in the throttle and have intake nose

That's really not good if it's putting compression out the intake...

Pretty good indication of a valvetrain failure which is becoming pretty frighteningly common on these... Real frightening, since I have one in the driveway.

The oil overfull code comes from a calculation of unmetered fuel source entering the engine. If the engine has a tonne of blowby, it could explain the oil consumption, and the excess crankcase vapours could give the oil overfull code.

I did an engine on an 08 recently, that was down into the low 200's on several cylinders, and high 200's on the rest. Ran remarkably good, started good cold, but burnt 10 liters of oil every 2000kms.

It apparently uses the EGT to monitor this, I was told a long time ago.

Does your truck still have all the smog gear on it, and the latest and greatest calibration in it?