Interesting things coming down the pipe

Rate this topic

Was reading the new issue of Frontline today, as there ain't shit to do at my new job, and came across this interesting little nugget: The new Fusion that is equipped with the quick start/shutdown feature has an electric aux trans pump to keep line pressure in the trans when the engine is dead at a red light. The stuff that these guys are coming out with is getting more and more........uh, interesting.

I subscribe to Automotive News. Twice daily I get a video feature. The first I heard of this was on one of these videos (you could try searching their archive but I can't remember any key phrases).

The idea is that the motor will shut off when the car comes to a stop - a la golf cart - and restart when you release the brake. Just the thing you want in a chilly Alberta winter.

The term for this is stop-start system. It automatically shuts down and restarts the engine in traffic or at stop lights for example to reduce the amount of time the engine spends idling, thereby reducing fuel consumption and emissions. It is not a new concept as it is used in hybrids but now many auto makers are employing this. You will soon see this in a lot of Fords by the way.

Originally Posted By: ktmlew
Originally Posted By: lmorris
Wonder what the expected life of a starter is on these.

I was thinking the same thing?

That ALL depends on where the starter motor is located. Posted Image

It's probably built IN the flywheel... Posted Image

The training I had on it on another line had two mods: The CKP sensor is digital and has a different signal profile for reverse rotation. The ECM uses this to know the exact crank position and needs no CMP-CKP sync before injector and coil operation. The starter is higher output with "more robust" pinion gear assembly. They spec a larger battery too. No mention of any additional hardware in trans.

I'm surprised the starter isn't buried inside the engine like a northstar or something since it's going to likely be a high failure item.

I hope this isn't something that in like 6 months Ford is flashing out of the PCM's because it's wrecking stuff.

I'm surprised the starter isn't buried inside the engine like a northstar or something since it's going to likely be a high failure item.

I hope this isn't something that in like 6 months Ford is flashing out of the PCM's because it's wrecking stuff.

I wonder how they keep the cats warm enough to work while the engine is off. Can you say another "e" recall.

I believe Brads diagram is of the auxiliary trans pump.

Since cats were introduced to the north american demographic, I imagine a lot of effort has gone into getting these things to come up to temp quickly (used to take over 10 minutes to get a car into closed loop - today sometimes less than a minute).

Even if a cat does cool down below it's flash temp, it's not going to take long to get them back on line.

We've had most of these emissions controls for 4 decades - they have now reached a level of sophistication that us old timers can truly admire.