Opinions of the ford edge

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

My mother is looking at getting a new vehicle, she has narrowed it down to the ford edge and the kia sorrento. She has test drove the kia and compared prices, and warranty's, etc. Has not had time to drive the edge yet. She has asked for an opinion from me of both. I of course am a bit biased to for. However I am a diesel engine 1 ton pick up guy, and therefore not to knowledgeable on the other models. I am looking for opinions, common issues, etc of the edge. Or the kia if you have any experiecse or knowledge of them. Thanks a lot guys.

My dealer is a dual line kia and ford, i dont work on the kias but have drove some, they drive nice, are built with great quality and very few problems. Im a diehard Ford guy, but if I was buying a new car it would be the Kia.

Our SM drives an Edge - she purchased it a couple or three years ago... one of our service advisers is on her second Edge. We see Edges less than most other lines. IA is a nice feature but I don't think you can get it without the troublesome shit.

My wife owns an Edge, and loves it. The only drawback I have with it, is it has a few blind spots. But then again all the new vehicles that are shaped like it have them.

As far as Kia goes, stay away if you live in a rust state. Unless you only plan on owning it for a year, them things rot out before you can make a dozen payments.

I called Kia to see if they could fax some service manual info for a Sorrento I was working on (HLAs). "We dont put much stock in manuals, we rely on tech knowledge for our repairs" HUH?

Hyundai/Kia service information, well... sucks.

It was/is free to access on the internet for anyone. Once I went through some of it, I know why. Very poorly translated Korean, no theory, next to no testing information and their model codes, unless you're Korean, it's damn hard to figure out. They don't go by name, by internal model code. Much like Mercedes and BMW.

I have always liked the Edge styling but wasn't big on the price. If you want to go for less money, buy the Escape, it has pretty much the same interior room, at least that is what I found. They both have very nice back seat leg room. Cargo space at the back seems comparable as well. We love our 2013 Escape, despite the recalls.

the kias have a version of sync, they bought fords first generation technology, works great. It comes down to money for me, the kia is a better value.

2 years ago when my last car was writen off they gave me a Kia Sorrento to drive. Had it for 2 months, took it to the mountains over christmas. I loved it, mostly. Did not like the fuel mileage of the V6. That may have changed for newer model years however. It had bluetooth for the phone, which was nice. However, I did not like the red display of the stereo, it looked cheap. Ford has always had a way of NOT LOOKING CHEAP.

Not that Ford is without problems (they aren't), but we had a Hyundai Santa Fe with a v6 come in on trade. It had a fairly nasty rattle at idle. A belt drove one cam in each head, with a short chain driving the other cam. Well the short chains stretch a little bit, then the cams rattle at idle. This was a low mileage, well maintained unit, just off warranty. It looked like there may have been a provision for a tensioner on these chains, but it was not used. I am guessing it was left out to save a buck. It made me wonder where else they cheaped out.