e series glowplug harness BROKEN!

Rate this topic

That is what I resort to when they break up bad enough. You have to pull the oil rail and you can get right under the connector plug and push them out.

Wow, that sure is a lot of work, just to remove a glow plug harness.

Yes it is Mike. Here where in Winter the roads have more salt on them than corn chips do some trucks corrode in odd places. Take an older 6.0L with the original style GP harness. You are not pulling the plastic plugs out of the head easily. Even with the newer one's I have busted them up to the point of putting vice-grip pliers on the wire and wrapping it around them only to break the wire. Pisses me the fuck off to no end when that happens. Fortunately it is not often I deal with that now. The private shops can have them!

I usually try to get them to rotate in the rocker box first. When they're corroded enough though I just pick them out in pieces. I find pushing the new ones in is usually just as hard as getting the old ones out.

Use a little Scotch-Brite on the bores to clean them up and then coat 'em with some anti-seize.

Best luck I've had gettin them out is the no mercy method.

I always quote replacement if I need to pull them out.

I've been grabbing the harness and just yanking like an angry fuckin savage.

Only ever had one that didn't come out that way.

I know it sounds awful but it seems to work. Lol. Better on an F than an E though.

What worked in the past is heating up a self tapping screw and screwing it into the busted piece. Go for a smoke and let it cool, then bump it out with a prybar.

Unfortunetly you need midget hands to get in the glow plug connector area on the e-series. I have removed the valve cover and next the oil rail, which ought to prove to be equally as awesome:) Thanks for the help.

Once you've done a few, you'll find they're pretty easy.

No thank you.

I'd rather chuck my wiener through a meat grinder than work on E-Series again.

I'd rather chuck my wiener through a meat grinder than work on E-Series again.

Uummmmm.......don't you think you're exaggerating just a little with that statement? And you already know much I love working on E-Series too.

I had an unbeleivable run on E-series last year I thought I was gonna go out of my mind. I either got numb to working on them or I convinced myself that they are not so bad. I think having a mental block toward working on them makes it all seem much worse than it is.

I like working on them. Simply because everything pays so well. Around here, there are hundreds of 6.0 E-Series running around, so we've figured out a better way to do just about everything-making them quite profitable.

I agree with Alex. There is far too many of them on the road in our location. I have seen me go a couple of weeks with nothing but E vans. I personally don't mind them at all; and they pay good too !!

When I worked at Knapp's in Essex, Ontario, for almost two years, I worked on TWO diesel econolines.

One was a turbocharger on a cable van, and the other was a set of fuel injectors in a guy's daily delivery work truck.

Sorry, that's two 6.0 ones. I had a regular customer with a 7.3 one, but never touched the motor. Just commercial safeties and fixed stuff as his guys wrecked it. Changed a lot of mirrors on that van.

Econolines aren't bad at all, once you've done a couple (as with anything else) they're 'easy' and you can make PLENTY of time on them since everything pays so well on them.