Memories of riding the school bus

Rate this topic

mchan68

Wow, the sounds of this engine rings so familiar to the International Loadstar bus I used to ride when I was a kid:

Most of you probably wouldn't have a clue as to why I'm posting this, since I guess Jim would likely be the only one old enough to remember the engine that the vehicle in the above video is equipped with.

All I remember, is the distinct whine of that engine in the International buses as it revved up, was way unique and different from the Chevy and Ford school buses of that era. What I would do right now, to get behind the wheel of one now (five speed and all) just to relive those memories. I know most of you likely think I'm crazy for posting this.

Actually, that motor was also available in the Travelall, pick up and Scout. You had to be careful adjusting ignition timing as the timing light got hooked up to number 8.... I forgot - "what's a timing light?" right? Posted Image

The last school bus I rode on was a Bluebird built in the late 50s or early 60s.... and it was still pretty close to new.

I'm thinking most Travelalls and Scouts got the little brother 304 engine? I have been inside numerous 345/392 engines and still remember the differences like 2 bolt/3 bolt ex man flanges, many different cylinder head configurations/combustion chamber sizes, the extra bolt hole on the top of the head that would leak oil under the VC if not plugged, #8 timing, of course, and a million other details. I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday. Posted Image

The other IH gasser I was really familiar with was the MV404/446 family. I started out in the 70's doing mobile repair for rock bands and those were the two staple engines in nearly all the local bands trucks.

Ahh, yes, the good old days.

Posted Image

Hands up who knows what the red button on the shifter is, or how to use it. I think it is something that could make a comeback. Now, how could I convert my 9.75.......

Hands up who knows what the red button on the shifter is, or how to use it. I think it is something that could make a comeback. Now, how could I convert my 9.75.......

That would be the two speed rear axle switch if I recall correctly. Since most trucks of that era were gas jobs lacking the low end torque of most modern diesels of today, I guess extra torque multiplication was needed.

On a different note, I don't remember seeing any school bus applications I rode in, equipped as such. If I recall correctly, they were all straight five speeds, where 1st gear was never used.

I've seen both diesels and busses with 2 speed axles, but that goes back to the awesome 80's. I remember two speeds like yesterday, we stocked a motor because the salt ate them up so bad. Early ones had a contact points-like switch in them, later had an electronic circuit board.

I'm fucking old. Posted Image

I remember riding in both Internationals with the 345 and Chevys with 366s, the old chevs, had a yellow "engine overspeed" light. When I was in 3rd and 4th grade, I remember the old lady driver used to make that light come on real bright coming down a couple of the hills around here as she downshifted. I can also remember that unique smell from the exhaust, esp from the Chevs as they were shifted and that puff of blue smoke came out.

I also remember, when in HS the first 9.0 liter Internationals, dog slow, noisy as hell, and when the downpipes off the manifolds broke off, they were REALLY loud.

I remembered riding mostly in International school buses, some Chevy school buses (I'm guessing equipped with the 366 engines) and some Ford school buses (some older ones which I assume were equipped with the 361 engines and even some '80 and up with the 370). My all time favourite engine sound was the 345 engines in the Internationals. Call me crazy if you will for remembering such useless, stupid information, but these engines just had that very unique "whine" to them that stood out which I don't know how to describe. The way that guy in the video is driving that truck, completely reminds me of how one particular driver used to drive this bus making him my favourite driver. He was revving it up really high, just like the driver in the video there. I also remembered one particular year in which all the buses assigned to the drivers were automatics just for that one year, and thinking how weird it was, riding in them as the engine roared along while being accompanied by a very powerful whine from that automatic transmission to go along with the familiar sound of the engines of the various brands. I remembered a couple occasions where these automatic buses were so gutless that the driver had to put on the hazards when climbing a hill because it wouldn't go any faster than about 40 mph if I remembered right.

I forgot to mention, in freshman year of high school, we had a substitute bus and driver. (we had a private bus company for our route) Walking out at the end of the day is a white and blue, covered in chrome and stripes, my best guess would be 50's or 60's era bus, rounded nose, roof and back, much lower than the 80s buses. It appeared very "aero" in comparison to the current buses. It was a Chevrolet.

What made it stand out was the 4" side pipes coming out ahead of the rear tires. Once we were all in, the guy driving us, I'd say barely 30, fired it up. Holy crap. Lopey, lopey, thumpa thumpa and LOUD. He blipped it a few times and the whole bus rocked side to side. It got the attention of the kids and teachers in the lot. Us guys into cars asked him what's in this thing. He said it had a bored and stroked 454, aluminum heads, headers, dual 4 bbl carbs. When he shifted that sucker into 2nd and not low to take 35 kids home, and got on it right out of the lot. HOLY CRAP.

I've never ridden in a thing THAT large THAT fast. This guy was no slow bus driver.

It made for one interesting memory of riding the school bus.

With extra points if anyone can tell what a "short fourth" is.

We used to go skiing in a converted bus/motorhome. It had a 3208 Cat engine, Muncie trans with a short fourth, and a two speed rear end. The Cat had a powerband about 100rpm wide, so in the mountains you really had to work the tranny and the rear end to keep her boiling, especially in Colorado. Not much air up there for the old Cat to breathe.

The motorhome was a converted school bus, so I am not really hijacking this thread.

Went to see a comedian tonight, Jeremy Hotz.

A guy gets up and is walking through the crowd, and comedian goes

"And there's this guy! Walking around going "Where's my fuckin' schoolbus?! "

I looked over and this guy was the stereotypical elementary school bus driver lookin' guy.

I haven't laughed so hard as I did at that in a LONG time.

And...... before I forget. "Short fourth" - the truck would have a 5 speed transmission and a two speed axle - the trans would be labelled L-1-2-3-4. The shift pattern would be 1L-1H-2L-2H-3L-4L-3H-4H.

You haven't lived until you've driven a 5 and 4 in steep hill country.

You haven't lived until you've driven a 5 and 4 in steep hill country.

You mean like this?

.... which happens to be a 1972 IHC truck with a big honkin' 549 inch gasser V8, since we're on the subject of old IHC trucks with gassers. I can't imagine how much gas that thing would drink up at today's fuel prices.

Although I haven't personally had the pleasure of driving one of these, I've heard that you don't want to ever get yourself into a situation where both transmissions are in neutral while you're moving, correct?

How about a Mack with a triple stick tranny? IIRC it was two four speeds bolted end to end and a reduction box. It was in an old 237 dump, I think, and low low low was slightly faster than a snail. I put it in LLL and it was too slow to get out of the shop.....

Posted Image

My 76 R700 had a MACK 12 speed. This box had three cluster shafts and could handle a shit load of torque. Very different from the Fuller (roadranger) transmissions.

At the very front of the trans was a 2 speed deep reduction box controlled by a single stick, next was the "main" box with 6 forward speeds. Mounted behind this was the auxiliary section with a high range, a low range , a neutral and reverse. The auxiliary was control by an air control mounted on the main box shifter.

Yep..... I was never as good as I would have liked at straight sticking but I did know a couple of old timey guys that could shift both at the same time (more or less - many times it wasn't pretty sounding). I always tried to make sure I never trapped myself in a split shift with no gears that seemed to fit. I'll admit that I spent very little time with this arrangement, I did spend a couple of months in a Kenworth with an RTO12513 and a 4 speed behind that (the owner had it so he could mount a power tower for a Braden winch).

My 76 R700 had a MACK 12 speed. This box had three cluster shafts and could handle a shit load of torque. Very different from the Fuller (roadranger) transmissions.

At the very front of the trans was a 2 speed deep reduction box controlled by a single stick, next was the "main" box with 6 forward speeds. Mounted behind this was the auxiliary section with a high range, a low range , a neutral and reverse. The auxiliary was control by an air control mounted on the main box shifter.

There is a cement company near here that still uses this nightmare setup.

Most of the trucks are tandem-tandem and are just awful to drive for a number of different reasons. They range in age from 73 to 77 or 78, some of the newer single steer tandem trucks are almost new at a lively 1995 or so vintage.

Nice thing about Mack trucks is they looked the same from 73 to about 2001, so body parts are plentiful.