Thumping noise from E-series 6.0l

Rate this topic

Ambulance company brought in with a no start concern, after charging batteries and self test, passed, monitored data pids and found low icp 240 psi, i removed ipr and found hole in screen, installed ipr and start and run in bay, went to road test, vehicle would idle eratic at stop light so come back to shop by the time i got back check engine light was on, set dtc p2284=icp range performance and had a cylinder 8 contribution code, informed customers that it was not running correctly and would need further time to investigate, and the contact guy declined since he is a certified diesel tech , he believed that it was air in oil, he would send someone to pick up, i informed writer that i drove 5 miles it was not air in oil.

Any way after they picked up van was back in about 2 hours, on a flat bed, when went to check had a thumping noise when cranking and icp was low again, will not do a relative compression test, the new ipr had a hole in screen,I was thinking high pressure pump comming apart so replaced high pressure pump and ipr vehicle started but miss on cylinder 6 and has thumping noise on that same bank,this noise is new symptom since they drove away, the noise seams like air not a metalic sound, can feel in charge air cooler hose cold side. at this point thinking mabe a lifter is bad and that is what took out my ipr and pump? have not heard this noise before and was wondering what the symptoms are when you guys find lifter concerns,have to check out this morning and was going to pull valve cover and inspect , possibly run manual compression test on left bank cylinders, any info appreciated and will let you know what i find.

Pull the cold side hose off and spin the motor with your starter button and see if it is blowing air out the intake.

Sounds to me like she's done for.

Does the motor sound "uneven" when cranking?

This engine is DONE like Aaron said. I wouldn't waste another minute on it. Tell the certified "diesel tech" to fix it himself. If they want you to fix it, quote LARGE (in other words, if their eyeballs are bulging out of their eye sockets when you submit the quote, you aren't quoting high enough).

Gonna go with Keith on this one. You'll probably find a bent or misplaced push rod, usually caused by a sticky valve. I have replaced push rods with no problems down the road, and I have replaced them only to find the valves just wont cooperate.

I like your style mchan68 lol just got valve cover off left side going to check compression, but obviously with it popping back through intake valve is not seating for what ever reason. appreciate all help, i am only diesel tech here and with other dealers shutting down around me, we are getting more work.

I like your style mchan68 lol just got valve cover off left side going to check compression, but obviously with it popping back through intake valve is not seating for what ever reason. appreciate all help, i am only diesel tech here and with other dealers shutting down around me, we are getting more work.

I's not so much that the intake valve is not seating, as it is the exhaust valves are not opening and the cylinder pressure's only escape route is when the intake valve opens.

Remove the low pressure oil pump and inspect for damage to the gears and front cover. I replaced 4 engines last summer due to lifter failures. The roller on the lifter comes apart, the needles gets sucked through the pickup tube into the oil pump and it's all downhill from there. All mine where exhaust lifters, and would cause no base oil pressure, which meant I also had no ICP and had the popping back through the intake. If you pull the heads, you'll likely see piston to valve contact for whichever cylinder it was. All mine would not do a relative compression, but all showed good manual compression. I had to do engine teardown to find the offending lifter, and usually the lifter was stuck in the bore.Sometimes I would find a rocker arm off though.

I forgot you were dealing with an Econoline, that changes things a bit. Could call on draining the oil and filter to look for internal engine failure. Posted Image

It's alot easier to push a complete vehicle out while waiting on an approval than it is to push one out in a million pieces.