The Lincoln LS

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

There once was a mechanic who was quite content. This mechanic worked at a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership and all was quiet on the home front. Then, one day, a new model of Lincoln rolled in the door. This vehicle was dubbed the LS6 or LS8. What a complete pile of garbage this thing was. The mechanic had to replace a couple of motors, some trannys, numerous driveshafts, countless righthand exhaust manifolds, and don't even mention the idea of that idiotic hydraulic cooling fan system. It seems this vehicle shared a few things with Jaguar and that explained all the troubles. Well this mechanic did what he could to avoid the LS as much as possible. He even relocated to the Northeast and to his delight there were no LS's to speak of. As a matter of fact he spent 10 long years in the Northeast and never saw or worked on an LS. Life was quite easy in that respect and the vehicle was actually erased from his mind. All those earlier years of anquish were like a bad dream that had been awakened from with warm rays of sunshine enveloping and comforting this mechanic.

Now we fast forward to today and this mechanic is back in the South and guess what? These friggin cars are all over the place down here. The nightmare is being relived and it's in full color. There are at least 6 of these damn things that roll in the dealership doors every month. These cars are not pristine and they are in serious disarray. They always end up in this mechanics bay after everyone and their brother have molested the hell out of the cars and thrown in the towel.

So the horrors of the past live on and it seems these Lincolns will never die. This mechanic would dare say it looks as if they may be regenerating.......kinda like a zombie apacolypse?

The Lincoln LS is the reason I made the switch from drivability tech to diesel tech.

Now that is saying something!

Yes, out of the frying pan, into the fire.

I've never really done a whole lot to LS's but I guess they were on the way out when I was on the way in. Coils, valve cover gaskets, heater valves, thermostats, blend door actuators, shift solenoids. It always seems to be the same stuff.

I agree though the LS's we see now are piles of garbage.

The Lincoln LS is the reason I made the switch from drivability tech to diesel tech.

I can not even begin to tell you how much I HATE those cars!

I know I have made loads more $$$ working on diesels than one ever could on those cars !

I know I have made loads more $$$ working on diesels than one ever could on those cars !

The 6.0 paid for my house, and the 6.4 paid for my cottage. I can't say that for the LS!

The 6.0 paid for my house, and the 6.4 paid for my cottage. I can't say that for the LS!

Amen to that, brother.

Okay, you can add me to the list of techs who doesn't miss these cars. I only remember how much fun they were to drive when they were new (for a Lincoln). Of course when vehicles are new we never foresee what kind of problems they will have. But yeah, I worked on more than my fair share of them, and I sure didn't like it either.

I agree that they are toilets (like most old luxury cars seem to be), but remember how nice they were compared to the v8 Continentals they replaced.

And could someone explain to me why it is always the high rollers in their fancy luxury cars who are always the ones who won't pay to fix them, so they end up run into the ground.

I agree that they are toilets (like most old luxury cars seem to be), but remember how nice they were compared to the v8 Continentals they replaced.

And could someone explain to me why it is always the high rollers in their fancy luxury cars who are always the ones who won't pay to fix them, so they end up run into the ground.

Because they either 1: expect it to all be warranty or 2: they spent all their money on the car and have no more left, because thay are not a high roller, just like to play the game.