Cranks no start.

Rate this topic

Base fuel pressure 5 psi, no air in fuel, new filters, good fuel. No codes. All tests passed. FRP koeo .5v. Cranking 1.2v 4900 PSI. RPM 196, sync YES. PCV and VCV 22-30% cranking. No intake or exhaust restrictions. EGR valve is closed, 1.09V. No smoke out tail pipe. Cam timing matches good example in PDF.

Other than all the injectors being damaged, I am stumped. Is it possible the HPP can put out 5000 PSI but not be enough to start?

Got more info: He stopped in at a small shop for a WIF light on. They drained the tank and changed the filters. Then it wouldn't start.

Got more info: He stopped in at a small shop for a WIF light on. They drained the tank and changed the filters. Then it wouldn't start.

I have had one or two of these engine give me trouble starting after a pump replacement or overhaul - even with what I thought was excessive purging time with the purge fitting installed. Are you sure it is just not air bound still?

What does the secondary filter housing look like? I've had a few 6.4s in the past that have had water in fuel issues followed by a no-start. They all made sufficient FRP to start, but turned out to need fuel injectors.

• Like 1

Yet more info. The WIF light came one, then an undetermined time later it died. Then it was towed. Pulled both filters. looks like they did a good job cleaning out the system. Intake restriction is under 2". Getting good fuel flow. I had the purge tool on it, plus shop air to the fuel filler, there is no air. Since this is an ESP claim, we need to get the okay from the customer before digging into the injectors. Hotline is suggesting the injectors are clogged.

MAF reads 13 hz KOEO, reads 7 hz cranking.

They also just bought the truck 2 days ago at a dealer down in Airdrie. Looks like it is leaving on the hook. Posted Image

Makes you wonder if the fuel rails are filled with water.

That is my guess.

Now the guy is pissed off at the other dealership. He wants us to fix it, then he wants to take them to court. Posted Image

Changed again, it is leaving... Posted Image

Pissed at the dealer? Who put the fuel in it? Usually it takes a good amount of water in the tank to cause a situation like this if water is in fact the problem. A bad load of fuel does not take long to become evident.

The story I heard was that they just bought the truck. The guy's son borrowed it to drive a friend into Edmonton from Red Deer, about a 75 minute drive. He put in 40 litres before the trip and on the way back it dies on the highway. When it got to us it had purple diesel in it. The owner runs a trucking company, so I asked him where they got the purple stuff from. He said they have no access to purple. There is a tidy tank in the back which he says his son put in there. So where the water came from and how long it's been in there is a mystery. Gave the guy a quote for the repairs and it left on the hook.

Just about everything that we see with flood damage gets written off by insurance companies. I remember after the Toronto flood in 2005, some fleets decided to dry out and get their stuff on the road without contacting insurance... Lots of electrical gremlins came out of that one!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I imagine watery fuel is going to be a much larger problem in the very near future with all the flooding.

We tend to see one or two trucks with water in the fuel after local flooding... after hurricane Sandy I am sure there was an increase. It's amazing how people want to blame the truck, Ford or the dealer.