2014 Dodge Ram Promaster

Rate this topic

mchan68

So this is what is going to be competing with our forthcoming Ford full-sized Transit?

http://www.allpar.com/trucks/ram/ProMaster.html

I'm not so sure a FWD application would be up to the task in a 1/2 ton application, let alone a one ton. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of feel the powertrain choices leave a little to be desired. Being the very first "full sized" Dodge van to ever offer a diesel engine option, I get the impression a 4 cylinder diesel will be a little underpowered for the task being demanded by this type of market.

Holy crap! And I thought the new Ford Transit was ugly. Mike, how much more powerful do you think the Ford I-5 diesel is going to be. I have a feeling that any previous diesel owners used to the power of a 6.0L or even a big V-8 gasser van are going to be disappointed. I guess it won't be too much longer before we find out though. I really want to see and drive these (both the transit and the Ram) before I make a real judgment though. Since my dealer is also a Dodge Ram dealer I may get to drive both!

Wow. That's probably the ugliest vehicle I have ever laid eyes on.

As for the manufacturer, here's the definition:

dodge
/däj/
Verb

Avoid (someone or something) by a sudden quick movement.

:thumbup:

That was the whole point of this thread. Maybe I'm just stuck in the dark ages with my tastes, being used to a body-on-frame rear wheel drive V8 kind of person that I am. I understand the need for fuel economy in this day and age, but is it going to come at the expense of reduced performance, reliability and vehicle longevity? As far as we've already discussed, the E-Series isn't going to be discontinued outright when the 2014 Transit full size is released, but Ford should really keep their options open during this transition. I don't know about all of you, but we are still selling a lot of fleet E-Series. If E-Series sales remain on this steady trend, while the Transit full size sales FLOPS during introduction, Ford should really re-evaluate discontinuing it. Look at what happended to the Sprinter. I don't know much about them (okay, I know NOTHING about them), but if the Transit full size follows that same trend, what then? Look at the Ford Five Hundred that was intended to replace the Taurus. What about discontinuing the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car line? THAT, has to be Ford's BIGGEST mistake right there. I can only imagine how many police forces and airport limo companies nationwide have protested that business move, 'cause to me the Taurus and Explorer cop car package as well as the Lincoln MKT livery models sure aren't cutting it.

and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L

You pity the demise of that which you despise with such disdain? :D

But not the gassers.

Gonna suck in the winter. Load it up, shift all the weight to the rear axle and you have lots of front wheel spin on ice... :crazy:

That was the whole point of this thread. Maybe I'm just stuck in the dark ages with my tastes, being used to a body-on-frame rear wheel drive V8 kind of person that I am. I understand the need for fuel economy in this day and age, but is it going to come at the expense of reduced performance, reliability and vehicle longevity? As far as we've already discussed, the E-Series isn't going to be discontinued outright when the 2014 Transit full size is released, but Ford should really keep their options open during this transition. I don't know about all of you, but we are still selling a lot of fleet E-Series. If E-Series sales remain on this steady trend, while the Transit full size sales FLOPS during introduction, Ford should really re-evaluate discontinuing it. Look at what happended to the Sprinter. I don't know much about them (okay, I know NOTHING about them), but if the Transit full size follows that same trend, what then? Look at the Ford Five Hundred that was intended to replace the Taurus. What about discontinuing the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car line? THAT, has to be Ford's BIGGEST mistake right there. I can only imagine how many police forces and airport limo companies nationwide have protested that business move, 'cause to me the Taurus and Explorer cop car package as well as the Lincoln MKT livery models sure aren't cutting it.

II agree 100% here and fear the trasit will be the next dodge sprinter. We had 3-4 sprinters and we have since auctioned them off or they are sitting on my dead line. Hell I cant even get a decent price for them at auction either. The cost of parts/repairs are rediculous and they are big piles of crap on top of that. The payload specs suck, they are slow as a slug and uncomfortable to drive any lengh of time. Maybe they are fine for a fedex driver cruising around town all day but give it a real job and it will shit the bed in 6 months.

• 8 months later...