Fixing Bung Holes

Rate this topic

Thought the title might get your attention. :/

In the past I have replaced EGT sensors with either two outcomes. The sensor comes out with no problems or on very rare occasion the sensor fitting totally seizes in the bung rendering the DPF damaged. I had one come out today just a wee bit rough toward the end damaging the threads just enough so that the new sensor's fitting would not seat and secure the sensor. Used a 12MM X 1.25 tap and fixed it up nicely. I initially tried a thread chaser but that actually cocked in the bore causing more problems.Point of the story? Use a TAP and not a thread CHASER.

I use a bottoming tap too.  When the sensors break, I remove the whole unit from the truck and fix it on the bench.  For the 20 minutes it takes to get it out, I find it well worth it for the extra  access.  I usually drill them out to 3/8", then use a Dremel to clean out the rest of the fitting before running the tap.  I've been charging  3-4 hours to replace sensors when they break, and people are more than happy to pay for that than a new DPF.

• 2 weeks later...

We had our other tech completely twist off a sensor and bung leaving a quarter sized hole in the top of the DPF.  Fabricated a new bung from a flat piece of steel and a M12x1.25 nut.   

I tried to source bungs but I have no idea where to get a new weldable bung at.  Right now I have 3 good bungs I cut out of RH up-pipes incase the situation ever rises again.  Guess what....it hasn't.

• Like 1

21432 2008-2010 F-SUPER DUTY EQUIPPED WITH 6.4L DIESEL- EGT SENSOR REMOVALEXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURE (EGT) SENSORS MAY BE DIFFICULT TO REMOVE FROM THE DIESELPARTICULATE FILTER (DPF) ON 2008-2010 F-SUPER DUTY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 6.4 LITER DIESEL ENGINE. TO AVOID DAMAGING THE HEX ON THE THREADED EGT RETAINER, CUTTHE WIRE JUST ABOVE THE SENSOR, APPLY HEAT TO THE SENSOR MOUNTING BOSS USING A OXYGEN/ACETYLENE TORCH, AND USE A 6 POINT DEEP WELL SOCKET WITH A BREAKER BAR TOLOOSEN. IF MOUNTING BOSS THREAD CLEANING IS NEEDED, A 12MM X 1.25 BOTTOMING TAP CAN BE USED. WHEN CLEANING THE THREADS WITH THE TAP USE CAUTION TO AVOID DAMAGING THE EGT SENSOR SEALING SURFACE LOCATED INSIDE THE MOUNTING BOSS.EFFECTIVE DATE: 26-JULY-2010

Has anyone tried to weld on a washer and nut to the broken piece stuck in the dpf, like and exhaust manifold repair?

What is your source for the bottoming tap? Two local part stores (Napa,Auto Value) cant get them.

Just wondering, got one I just broke the top part off, even after heating, socket like the ssm states.

I think I will just grind it out and tap this one. 

I have a Mac tap set. Drill bits too. As an aside - they (Mac) warranty their taps, dies, drillbits, and EZ-outs for life.

What a guy could do, is take a piece of round bar, drill it and tap it M12. Then weld it onto a small round plate with a 3/16" hole drilled in it, countersunk to about 3/8" or so... making the slight taper and hole you need to seal up the fitting. Weld the whole works onto the DPF after drilling the proper size hole.

Please reference the first line in my signature regarding the above mentioned solution.

I'm going to make one up at work tomorrow just to see if it seals. I'm going to try and do it with only tools that are common to most mechanics. (We have a full machine shop on site, so I'm sure I could whip something together either way, but I'd like to make an easy solution.)

Looks good, I like the Murphy's Law approach in the part description also:

The toolbox of every Ford Diesel technician should contain one of these, because if you have one - you won't need it.  If you don't have one, you'll break one of these sensors off tomorrow in a waiting customer's truck.

• 1 month later...

Or...you could do what I am trying to do right now and up-sell a particle filter. Truck has 146,000 km on it and it's getting some slight black in the tailpipes. No sense trying to drill out the busted sensor on this one.

Or...you could do what I am trying to do right now and up-sell a particle filter. Truck has 146,000 km on it and it's getting some slight black in the tailpipes. No sense trying to drill out the busted sensor on this one.

..... or even upsell a DPF Delete kit. :haha2:

• 4 weeks later...

EGT Bung replacement process:

Step 1 - Obtain a couple replacement EGT bungs here: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-style-exhaust-gas-temp-EGT-sensor-bung-for-Ford-Powerstroke-Diesel-6-4-6-7L-/141039388416?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20d69a4700&vxp=mtr

Leave the ebay seller positive feedback because it's the classy thing to do, and we DTS members are classy people.

Step 2 - Break an egt sensor off in it's bung.

Posted Image

Step 3 - Since the repair you are doing here is saving your customer thousands of dollars over DPF replacement. Feel free to Have your parts department pay you cash for one of the replacement EGT bungs in your toolbox with a profit margin for yourself large enough to buy Chipotle for lunch, before having them bill it out on the work order.  If the customer knew how much money you are saving them, they would certainly agree that you deserve Chipotle today!

Step 4 - Heat the damaged EGT bung with an acetylene torch till it glows bright orange, then twist it off with a pipe wrench.

Posted Image

Step 5 - Close the valves on the torch, put it away for the next time, and admire the hole you just made.

Posted Image

Step 6 - Grind away surface rust to prep for welding, de-greasing the new bung would be a good idea too as they come with a thin coating of rust inhibitor.

Posted Image

Step 7 - Position the new EGT bung.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Step 8 - Weld the new EGT bung in place.

Posted Image

Step 9 - Install a new sensor.

Posted Image

Step 10 - Admire your work, and pat yourself on the back for having already had a replacement EGT bung in your toolbox and not getting caught with your pants down.  Feel good knowing you just saved your customer a ton of money and down time...  And you got a world class burrito out of the deal.

Posted Image

• Like 2

I think I will start spinning these off at work.

Anyone interested?

Cost would be whatever they cost me plus shipping if I can make em cheap enough.

I'll even label the shipping manifest for you American fellows as "depleted uranium" cause I'm good like that. Lol