Gasoline in a 6.7 anyone???

Rate this topic

What have been the experiences with 6.7l's mistakenly run on gasoline?

I've got a customer that realized the mistake, had the fuel drained, and is a little hesitant to arbitrarily have me replace the entire fuel system.

If he ran it then he has no choice but to replace the high pressure system. If he only turned the key on, then flush all the lines up to the secondary filter. replace both filters and clean the tank. 

I wouldn't.  That pump is not designed to have anything other than diesel fuel go through it.  It's not a matter of if the pump will fail, it's a matter of when...  If that pump seizes, it will wipe out the whole geartrain...  Replacing the fuel system now is cheaper than replacing the engine down the road.

I wouldn't.  That pump is not designed to have anything other than diesel fuel go through it.  It's not a matter of if the pump will fail, it's a matter of when...  If that pump seizes, it will wipe out the whole geartrain...  Replacing the fuel system now is cheaper than replacing the engine down the road.

The one I had that seized actually spun the crankshaft gear, engine lost time. Bent most of the pushrods, valves and damaged pistons. Took a complete long block to repair. That engine was fed DEF.

The vehicle was driven. 

Has anyone been sucessful with just flushing the fuel system on a 6.7L?

Our fleet truck sales manager actually had the balls to ask if I would sign off on one that I had quoted a complete high pressure fuel system replace, that ended up being "repaired" elsewhere, but I had already filed a CuDL on the VIN due to the customer declining us to repair.

I had a friend fill his with gas drove it about a mile and it started running bad. He drained tank then put a couple five gallons of fuel in tank. Ran it through and then replaced both filters. Truck is still running but who knows for long. I also had a guy fill a duramax with gas. His insurance company told him comprehensive would cover repair if someone else filled it with gas. Since he filled with gas they would not cover it.

This a game-changer. Now it's not a question of should I spend $10,000.00 now or maybe later, but should I spend $10,000.00 now or maybe spend $15,000.00 later. I don't know the exact costs, but I do know to replace the fuel system is $8000.00 just in parts. I advised my service writer and I'm not the tech working on it so we'll see what happens.

A retail engine plus fuel system is more than $15000.00. That would barely cover the engine. Long blocks do not come with the high pressure pump or the injectors.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The argument presented by one, who happened to have his wife mistankenly refuel with gas:

Wish i could have responded earlier but have been busy with work

I had this happen a few years ago, I was dropping off a truck at the shop and had my wife follow me, on the way I saw her pull off at a gas station that doesn’t have diesel so I figured she stopped for something else when we got to the shop the truck sounded like crap and I asked her if she filled it up, she said yeah u where almost empty.......lol I looked at her and said did you put gas in it......pause well yeah..... Anyways long story short I drained the gas out. Didn’t pull the tank or anything. If you disconnect the fuel outlet on the LPFP and supply power to along with a little rubber hose you can drain the tank pretty easy, I didn’t even bother with changing filters, filled it up with diesel, put a fitting on the test port on the upper filter housing and flowed fuel thru it tell the gas was gone and changed the oil. Fired the truck up and no issues for over 50,000 miles since the issue and now over a 100K on the clock. Considering I am running over twice the HP to the ground as a stock 6.4 id say there pretty resilient or maybe I am just lucky....I’m still a firm believer water is the only true killer of these fuel systems but that just opinion!

This is a big problem locally, I have seen many diesel autos in the shops for this issue with people spending big bucks for parts they don’t need. Here is my look on it, most people don’t keep there trucks past 5 years or 100,000 maybe the fear of no warranty IDK, but if you can fix it easy why condemn all the parts before they fail. If your changing all the parts I would think you would still have to flush all the lines just the same as a catastrophic failure in the fuel system so I don’t see the real benefit, when in reality there is probably a good chance there wont be an issue with the first owner.....just a thought. One could Argue a injector could seize causing a run-a-way engine but at that point you could come up with alot arguments.

I am curious if the overall issue could be resolved simply with a viscosity sensor similar to what the newer diesel VW cars and many others use, it shuts the auto down in the event gas is sensed before any damage can occurs. Yeah your vehicle ends up being towed but that’s still cheaper then a 15,000 repair bill. Just another thought

One last thing i will share, i have had the chance to talk with this guy about this aswell along with several other issues i have had with 6.0's and 6.4's. I came across him looking for a knowledge person after giving up on all the local dealers around me...lol, he has impressed me on several occasions where i have had issues, with that being said im not promoting this person just sharing good experiences i have had with his video's, talking on the phone and information on his web site powerstrokehelp.com

GAS IN THE FUEL - YouTube

Looks like we have another individual who praises our beloved Bill Hewitt from powerstrokehurt.com.

• 4 weeks later...

We had one guy put DEF in his tank. He realized his mistake while at the pump and decided I'll drive it to the dealer.....He didn't make it to us.

We had a guy do that to his 6L. The truck stop on the corner now has a bulk DEF pump. Must look like a normal diesel pump. He made just past the entrance of the our lot. Took a new fuel pump and flush to get it going. Wasn't running to good when it left, he declined the new injectors.

It must look like a regular diesel pump. Because I guess it's a common issue with people doing that. I think the price would have thrown up a red flag to me since DEF is considerably cheaper than diesel fuel.

It must look like a regular diesel pump. Because I guess it's a common issue with people doing that. I think the price would have thrown up a red flag to me since DEF is considerably cheaper than diesel fuel.

Not when you put it in your fuel tank

We just got approval to install the HP service kit in a 6.7 for def in the fuel. The insurance company took a fuel sample and told us that the fuel was not contaminated. So we asked them what the watery looking stuff was sitting on the bottom of the fuel tank was. They said oh, I guess it is contaminated. Hope they didn't pay for the analysis. The customer was going to just drain the tank and try his luck, but was convinced otherwise.

• 1 month later...

I had one a few weeks ago. 2014 with 6900 miles that was a leased truck through Enterprise rent a car  that the customer filled up with gas, then drove it till it quit. I got it to run, but took a long crank time to build rail pressure and ran rough. Quoted a fuel system. Enterprise decided to sell it to a scrap yard instead.

I had one a few weeks ago. 2014 with 6900 miles that was a leased truck through Enterprise rent a car  that the customer filled up with gas, then drove it till it quit. I got it to run, but took a long crank time to build rail pressure and ran rough. Quoted a fuel system. Enterprise decided to sell it to a scrap yard instead.

That is quite odd. We had one in last month, same company, same issue, they went after the guy for the bill and his insurance paid for it.