Diagnostic dart board fun

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Our shop is a small shop, 6 guys in total comprising of 1 diesel guy (me) 1 trans/driveability guy (he is also the shop foreman/dispatcher) 2 line techs (parts slingers) 1 all around up and comer (on his way to tech stardom if steered correctly) and 1 oil changer (total dipshit). 

Now I was not at work yesterday as I had to go to the doctor for an extreme case of poison ivy. This shit has really got me down for the count. But I wish I had been at work to see this spectacle. A towed in Windbag for a no start issue slipped by dispatch to one of the line techs. He immediately came up with it needing an engine. The service advisor was skeptical and wanted the tech to get a second opinion from the foreman. He was busy so he asked the other line tech what he thought and he came up with it needing spark plugs. By now every available guy has meandered over because the shop is slow and they are all putting in some input. The oil change guy said it had water in the fuel, and he could smell the water. I don't know what the fuck kinda water he drinks but my drinking water ain't got no smell to it.

So the foreman walks over and asks how he got a fuel sample and the oiler says from the shrader valve.

He asks the spark plug guy if it had spark to the plug.........don't know was the answer.

He didn't even bother with the explanation of needing an engine.

So he turns the key on and the fuel pump doesn't prime. He checks the fuses and the fuel pump relay fuse is blown. Installs a new fuse and the fuel pump runs continuously. The relay took a dump and stayed engaged.

1 new relay and new fuse later and it was motoring down the road.

(love to know how oiler boy got fuel outa that shrader valve with an offline fuel pump)