2010 Lincoln MKZ Cam Phaser And Water Pump

Rate this topic

mchan68

Okay guys, I have a 2010 Lincoln MKZ in, that was diagnosed as needing the right phaser replaced by one of our gas driveability guys. It gets shipped to me for the repair. During disassembly, I noticed it also has a water pump leak. Since it's covered as well, it's a no brainer as to whether or not to replace while being "in there". To give you guys a better understanding, this vehicle requires the powertrain to be dropped to replace either. Here is the issue I'm now faced with. What do I claim for the repair? Do I claim 6256AR 9.7 and 6256AZL 0.2 for a whopping 9.9 hours? Or do I claim 8501A 11.3 and 8501AZL 0.2 for 11.5? Can I claim the water pump labour ops since it pays more, which is what I'm doing but the way the line is written up, pertains to an engine driveability issue NOT a water pump leak. And YES it does say it in red font DO NOT USE WITH 8501A if claiming 6256A and vice versa. This job sucks big hairy donkey balls and I don't feel like going back in twice.

Visual of said job:

Posted Image

That picture looks like one out of an MKX/Edge. I've done many of those without near the amount of headaches as I appear to be having with this MKZ (same as a Fusion). Space is THAT much tighter.

I did not have a pic of the last Fusion Sport model that I did. However it went just as smooth. Maybe I just got lucky, I don't know. :shrug: 

The big difference between the Edge and Fusion is the use of studs instead of bolts to secure the subframe, along with extremely tight clearances on the Fusion. I think if it were a 3.0L or 2.5L it likely would've been much easier.

If I didn't understand what I was looking at I would be scared. Layman must think we're nuts.  

Yeah, I got a shit ton of on lookers with the frame on the T-car, a real dog and pony show. Most people don't realize that it's really just nuts and bolts. And with todays smart phones everywhere, you don't even have to have a good memory, just snag a photo of what your taking apart for future reference.

I forget the tsb # but it was on a fusion and I had to check the cam caps for wear and replace the cam and cam cap.  I did it in car and I will put that as my most hated job ever so far!  I think it paid something like 9 hours and in the end I had 19 into it.  That front cover in the fusion is almost impossible to get back in without damaging the seals in car.