Smoking 6.4s...

Rate this topic

I have a few customers on the road with 6.4s that smoke from time to time.  Most of these I have never been able to verify.  I have one in particular that blows white smoke, and is about to run out of warranty, and I've never been able to figure it out (or verify it, for that matter), but I know the customer well enough to believe him.  So far, this truck has had a few injectors due to excessive SFTs, and CAC, and last week I threw a horizontal cooler at it because I there was (potentially) some moisture in the EBP tube.  It's not using oil or coolant, but I can't verify if it's growning oil right now because he just had his oil changed elsewhere.

My question is if any of you guys have any experience with these, because of the amount of people I hear complaining about it, somebody has to have seen it...  And, what (if anything) you guys have done to fix these...  Thanks, y'all!  :rockon:

Oddly enough just yesterday I saw an F550 dumptruck puff out a cloud of white smoke on accell, then stop. I was behind him and drove through the cloud, it didn't really smell like fuel or coolant, I just expected it was in regen. It was a City Works truck, so I am sure it never gets out of town. I have driven them and seen them puff smoke in a similar fashion, usually in winter after driving through town for a while, then pulling away from a stop. If they are running ok, not consuming fluids, and no warning lights on, I advise people that it is normal, and advise them to get out on the highway once in a while to complete a good regen.

This guy called me today.  He was driving on the highway and it was billowing out smoke for over 5 minutes.  Engine ran fine.  He's bringing it back in to me next week, so I'm trying to get a head start on any possible things to look for.  I have been trying to resolve this issue for over a year now.  I have drivin it home and back on several occasions, at nearly 150km  round trip and have NEVER had it happen to me.  This truck is worked and drivin like it should be.  Sees the highway every day.  Tows large loads.

I have ran into the same thing, intermittent white smoke.  I have never really found anything on any of the trucks I have worked on.  I have heard some talk of a inefficient cat converter causing these issues, but have not found any diag steps to help prove this. Sorry thats all i could add.

I also have had a couple of these with unexplainable white smoke. Same scenario too - can't verify it yourself and it's not using fluids... fuel trims look good... you follow any PCM updates and CAC changes as applicable and the customer still complains. Personally I was suspicious that it was simply related to regens even though the trucks were driven a lot with some towing. Sorry that I don't have an answer but I wanted to share that you were not the only one to have to deal with this.

He says it happens more often when not regenerating.  The last time it was here, I ran a manual regeneration after replacing the EGR cooler (which didn't really look like it had an issue once I had it removed).  It smoked like a mofo for about 5-10 minutes then cleared up.  Tail pipe tips are clean.  I'll get hotline involved (again) and likely get no useful answers (again).  Cheers!

I have a guy that with same complaint and same results. He told me the other day that it doesn't more when it is rainy or wet outside.

There is an updated CAC for that issue.  I did that TSB about a year ago on this truck.

What about unburnt fuel in Cat, left over from regen that lights up later when it get hot enough. Or fuel that doesn't get burnt off properly on shutdown and collects in the exhaust, waiting to get burnt off when the temps allow it. Just a thought.

we had one that smoked white occasionally. customer took vids of it and all. took us a week to drive it and finally got ti to smoke, smells like ammonia. EGR valve was sticking. no other probs, coolers fine,ect...

• 2 weeks later...

I have one booked in that I have verified the smoke. Last month we put in a long block for a melted down piston. Already had the EGR and DPF deleted. Truck runs great, lots of power. Truck sat for a week, then they noticed it smoking white at idle mostly and clears up driving, it even cleared up idling in the parking lot while I was doing a quick visual on all the vitals. Smoke almost resembles cold weather exhaust, not overly thick and no smell. Any thoughts? 

It's cold, below 150 degrees or so, when it's doing this? Once it heats up, the smoke goes away?

This appears to be a normal condition on most/all deleted trucks, regardless of calibration or calibration author.

The old straight piped 7.3's had the same issue. So an air intake heater was added. When a cat was added to the exhaust system the heater wasn't needed as much to mask (control) white smoke on cold starts.

The old straight piped 7.3's had the same issue. So an air intake heater was added. When a cat was added to the exhaust system the heater wasn't needed as much to mask (control) white smoke on cold starts.

Ditto, they were marketed as the "Smokeless Diesel"  IIRC.  That's why glow plugs run after startup, to reduce white smoke.

:grin:

I told the guy that it wasn't anything to be concerned about because it isn't fuel or coolant. He seemed ok with that but has booked it in for a thorough check up. Thing is with this truck is that it gets bounced between drivers, so getting a complete story of past behavior is next to impossible. Will update as required. 

It hasn't returned yet.  We wrote the work order last week, as he was at 159,999 km.  I'm kind of glad it isn't here, because I really don't have the time to look at it.  I hope things settle down a little bit, as I'm getting a "new" apprentice-seeing that all of our attempts at advertising to hire a new tech have returned ZERO resumes.

Mine needs head gaskets.....Just had a long block put in. IIRC it was a bugger to bleed the cooling system when I put it in. Now I know why.

That is very odd. I have never seen mls head gaskets leak so much that it would smoke out the tail pipe.  Who's long block? Ford's? I would have a close look at the heads for sure.