EGR Delete

Rate this topic

For the record, my 2007 truck (December 2006 build) sporting its orange sticker and all, still has the original EGR cooler intact with no issues and I'm pushing 180,000 kms. (112,000 miles). That said, I sometimes have to wonder why so many new owners of these trucks are so intent on jumping the gun to delete the EGR system upon their purchase. I for one, am toying with the idea of installing the BPD cooler if/when the time comes to open my engine up. So far (knock wood), no issues.

The BPD cooler is an option I offer some of my customers.  I have ran into one truck that torched the EGR valve O-rings so be aware of that.  It may not be a good option for trucks that are loaded heavy all the time.  They definitely don't cool as efficiently but it helps keep the valve coking down also.  Everything is a trade-off.  When I decided to go the route I did my EGR valve was gooey and something was amiss.  Whether it was incomplete combustion, poor fuel quality or a cooler starting to leak I'll never know.  It wouldn't have lasted much longer without service. 

I'll admit I haven't been installing the baffles.  I have one to install if anyone ever wants it but I'm not seeing any out there and I'm in such a routine that I can't seem to remember.  Not sure how much it helps, the ones I've seen on 08+ econolines seem to catch a lot of crap. 

I do clean intakes though and make sure to not let any cooler repair go without fully cleaning the bowl area.  The EGR bore brush included in the 6.4 tool kit works well.   

For the record, my 2007 truck (December 2006 build) sporting its orange sticker and all, still has the original EGR cooler intact with no issues and I'm pushing 180,000 kms. (112,000 miles). That said, I sometimes have to wonder why so many new owners of these trucks are so intent on jumping the gun to delete the EGR system upon their purchase. I for one, am toying with the idea of installing the BPD cooler if/when the time comes to open my engine up. So far (knock wood), no issues.

A coworker ran is 2004 to 215k miles before it was replaced and even then it was only replaced because the oil cooler popped

The baffle just shield from pcv carryover, so is it covering up excessive blowby, or excessive cold weather operation or??  The carbon from low cetane fuel and incomplete combustion would still collect in the bowl and foul the upper half of the valve.  I guess cetane booster and keeping the engine up to operating temps keeps these things a lot cleaner.