Jake Brake For Your 6.4L

Rate this topic

Approximately 70 psi of back pressure generated with BD’s Variable Vane Exhaust Brake.

Just about enough to force the exhaust valves open.

Don't worry. The piston will close them for you.

Why not use the egr throttle plate for braking?

I'll do you one even better. Why not use it for a positive air block-off to prevent runaways when they fill up the crankcases with fuel?

I asked this question of someone, in the know, but I forget who.

The reaction time is not quick enough, and the stepper motor may not be strong enough to close the flap in the event of a runaway. Once it fucks off, you aren't closing that butterfly.

You ever seen one of those positive air shut offs slam shut? It happens in a HURRY.

Ford wont sanction the EGR throttle as a positive air shut off mostly (IMHO) because of the exposure to liability. It is one thing to deal with an overfull crankcase (doesn't anyone check their oil anymore) but quite another to have a diesel engine sitting in the middle of a megadollar petroleum facility with a sudden hydrocarbon rich leak. 

Something like the Roda Deaco valve has a far better seal and a lot more oomph than the EGR plate.

^^What he said.

And if you happen to have your fingers in the mechanism or near it when this event occurs... You're going to need your wife to open your ketchup bottles for the rest of your days lol.