International Tech Services

Rate this topic

robp823

Working on alot of MF13's latley.Usually complain of low power pulling a trailer.Go for road tests and get snapshots.No faults.Go through and compare everything to the performance specifications and everything looks to be in spec.So start a case file and upload the snapshot data.One particular example they came back and told me to check the EGR valve position circuit because it was not matching EGR control(command).I went back through that same snapshot and realized it never really meets the command.I dont know if its just lag in the software or what.I test drove another truck from the same fleet and the data for the EGR valve control and position was almost exactly the same.I pointed this out to them and there response was "we have a little more information on our side".Do they have some kind of program they run the snapshot data through???Any other International techs go through this before??Starting to feel like a puppet for tech services.

I think this is a growing concern with any tech line for the manufactures.  I think they are still trying to figure out what these new diesels are doing still.  Fords tech hotline has been very hard to get any good info from them about weird problems.

I was told by a Hot-Line Engineers, one of the diesel guys (good ones) that they get a lot of information from us. Ford sometimes has no idea there is a developing problem until they start getting reports and feedback from the technicians in the field. This is understandable

A lot of it also depends on who you get on the other end.  I've dealt with IH Tech Support frequently, and sometimes you get a great guy with a good attitude that's really willing to help, and sometimes you don't.  Nuff said. :grin:

I agree,sometimes ive been taken on roller coaster rides with guys and some other guys really no there shit.When i worked for Ford i really enjoyed working with there tech services there were no secrets.Im not so pleased with International.It seems like everythings a big secret and theres no actual voice communication.It goes through messages on  a server and sometimes you could be waiting for a long time for a response.Usually if you ask why i get a response please continue to work with tech services.Its just gets frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on alot of MF13's latley.Usually complain of low power pulling a trailer.Go for road tests and get snapshots.No faults.Go through and compare everything to the performance specifications and everything looks to be in spec.So start a case file and upload the snapshot data.One particular example they came back and told me to check the EGR valve position circuit because it was not matching EGR control(command).I went back through that same snapshot and realized it never really meets the command.I dont know if its just lag in the software or what.I test drove another truck from the same fleet and the data for the EGR valve control and position was almost exactly the same.I pointed this out to them and there response was "we have a little more information on our side".Do they have some kind of program they run the snapshot data through???Any other International techs go through this before??Starting to feel like a puppet for tech services.

The program they're using is Microsoft's Excel, I worked with a I&Q engineer this past spring. He said to open up the S/S in Excel and then convert the parameters you want to look at into a graph. Excel gives more options to look at more data points.  He told me his Excel is setup with templates so he can apply them to the data to look at different parameters.  

I tried it and it works, but I'm not proficient with Excel and had a hard time getting the graphs to come out right.  

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, they can see more than you can with a snapshot, (this was per my cse)  Big bore tech group is by far the best of the group and they tend to give out the most info.  The I6 and v8 guys treat you like a puppet and waste hours of valuable time.

EGR valves are a common source of low power under load, plugged map sensors, and air control valves are still giving issues.

I actually got in good with one of the i6 guys.Sent me a lot of good stuff including a PowerPoint on MAF Cals.I also get a lot of complaints low power pulling trailer.Finding a lot of boost leaks on the hot side cac boots where the sealed clamps are.Anyone know what they use for the injector disable test???? Do the add up the fuel rates then divide by 6? Then whatever is below the average is suspect?