Alberta techs - dealership feedback

Rate this topic

YukonTyler

G'day,

Operation east coast has not gone as planned, and after being in Charlottetown from August through to December I see my savings dwindling away toward nothing. It's time to head back out west - just not quite as far north as the Yukon this time.

I have an offer on the table from Peace River Ford. I don't personally know the people and their operation, but their offer is quite attractive. If you have any feedback on this particular dealership can you please let me know. I think that any positive comments can be left out here in the open, but if you have negative things to say then a personal message may be a better venue. 

Thanks!

Have you ever considered Toronto?

Well I grew up all around Mississauga/Brampton/Caledon East and Hockley Valley, my wife is originally form Burlington, and I still have a hunt camp up highway 41 way ....... no offense intended, but southern Ontario isn't what dreams are made of for us. Both of us like coming back to visit, but commutes, urban sprawl and rainy days in December are all things that we can do without.

Leon might have a different experience from me..... A little over ten years ago, I became dissatisfied with the availability and quantity/quality of "all-make" documentation. Trying to understand how any particular system worked was a big concern of mine. Pretend you are used to old manual type 4X4 systems and you have a Souper Doody that "wont go into 4WD". The then SM from this Ford store had talked to me a few times about moving my tool boxes.

Finally, after much fretting about being in my 50s and switching back to flat rate, I took the plunge. And I haven't looked back. 

Now, I have to mention that I have been straight time for the last 5 or so years and I do miss the "gain time" but I'm not as young as I once was and I'm not as flexible as I once was. 

If you go to a city dealership, you'll find it's pretty much dog eat dog from what I can tell. Smaller towns (Slave population is about 7000) seem to value their employees a little better because it's hard to attract young people away from the bright lights. Dwayne left us about three years ago to become a toolmonger and can tell you his impressions. 

Our customer base is affluent and based in oilfield and logging. Pay rate is amongst the high end and there's bonus for each certification you have as well as a bonus for turning 100 hours in a pay period (paydays are 15th and end).

I used to work in Edmonton until the dealership was sold to one of them "Mega" companies who only cared about selling cars and had no idea how to run a service department. I am now in Nisku, which has a small town feel and the commute is bearable. I also work flat rate. Don't know much about northern dealerships though, other than they have crazy long wait times to get in. Which is a good thing if you are a good tech.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

In the end I decided to accept their offer ...

- signing bonus

- very strong flat rate $, plus bonus plan

- very nice health/dental benefits and memberships

- 3 weeks vacation

- new shop being constructed, going to 21 bays from 8

- saying all the right things about training, tech efficiency. i was very glad to hear this.

- booking three weeks out, just like we were in the Yukon

- no contract to sign

I'm pretty darn excited about the move. I'm weary of the 'mega' dealership scenario as was mentioned, but in the end it's worth the risk. PEI is eroding my savings at a stunning rate, and that's coming from a very strong flat rate tech who has chosen to live a thrifty life (no cell phone, no tv, etc). Also, my desire to get back north is incredibly strong. I start the drive next week so here goes nothin'.

Jim - I will give you a shout when I'm en route.

Good luck. If you go for training you will most likely come to Edmonton. We have a couple of good trainers here.

You do indeed. I used to fly down to Calgary and Edmonton all the time. Oddly enough most of my courses were with Geoff in Calgary, and the odd time when I was in Edmonton Geoff went down to do my course in one room while Darryl was in the other.