How Far CAN You Go On FF Filters?

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I thought I had seen some pretty impressive evidence of neglect in my time but this one is right near the top. A 2008 6.4L with 178,000 miles (5687 hours) that I just pulled out FF (First Fit) fuel filters with a date code of September 29, 2006. NICE! :crazy: It was brought in for stalling and then crank no start when the temperatures were in the teens. I suspect the fuel was starting to gel up but if that had not happened I am scared to think how much farther it would have gone? :ohnoes:

Impressive to say the least! I wouldnt even think that would be possible.

I linked one of our 6.4 failures to a lack of fuel filter changes, we only drove the thing about 60k without changing them.

• 4 weeks later...

Aaron, You must first remember that "proper maintenance" is repairing breakdowns whenever they occur. A vehicle, therefore, does not require proper maintenance if it will still move under its own impetus since "broken" means "wont move".

The part that bothers me is this is a  school bus service company. I wonder what other "maintenance"  they will just not do.

I will respectfully disagree with Jim on this topic.  Proper maintenance means less chance of something bad happening that could easily been avoided.

A fluid or filter miss is one thing that can be argued to be "not needed". But other things cannot. A miss inspection, maintenance and lube of a badly worn tie rod end would not stop the bus from moving. But it should be done.

The part that bothers me is this is a  school bus service company. I wonder what other "maintenance"  they will just not do.

I will respectfully disagree with Jim on this topic.  Proper maintenance means less chance of something bad happening that could easily been avoided.

A fluid or filter miss is one thing that can be argued to be "not needed". But other things cannot. A miss inspection, maintenance and lube of a badly worn tie rod end would not stop the bus from moving. But it should be done.

I see the sarcasm got lost somewhere. I would hope by now that most readers would see how maintenance is my religion. If you visit most any automotive forum, you will see that most owners appear to call driving from one breakdown to the next  as "normal maintenance".

FWIW, back when I worked regularly (and that will come again if we can get rid of the chemotherapy), I preached the importance of maintenance inspections to anyone that would listen. You will find that upselling the repairs you find to be profitable.

I guess that I have been doing this stuff to long. Have been dealing with more than the regular share of people and things that are making me miss the sarcasm in things. Yes I thought it was slightly out of character for you, I think I need another vacation from work !

I heard this years ago from a shop owner and tech, second part seems to be typical, sadly.  IIRC, he had it on his website.

We strive to keep your vehicle one step away from new, not one step away from the junk yard.