Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Customer Satisfaction Program 05B32

Quote:
All 2005 Model Year F-250/350/450/550 and Excursion Vehicles

Equipped with 6.0L Diesel Engines

De-gas Bottle Fill Level Label and Fluid Level Adjustment

AFFECTED VEHICLES

All 2005 model year F-250/350/450/550 and Excursion vehicles built at the Kentucky Truck Plant from Job #1 2005 through Job Last 2005. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS. In addition, see https://web.fsavinlists.dealerconnection.com for a list of vehicles assigned to your dealership. This information will be available on January 9, 2006.

REASON FOR THIS PROGRAM

The coolant fill markings on the affected vehicles are incorrect, creating the potential for an over fill condition. An over fill condition may lead to fluid expulsion during high system aeration. Loss of fluid can cause engine overheating, and may cause a loss of engine power.

SERVICE ACTION

Dealers are to install a label on the de-gas bottle that incorporates the correct "cold fill range" min/max fluid level markings and, if necessary, adjust the fluid level. This is to be done at no charge to the vehicle owner.

I wonder how many headgaskets have been replaced because of this.

I was told a year ago by a Navistar engineer that the bottles were overfilled, and when the engines reched temp they would puke out.

I have only done 2 headgasket jobs,and they were both on "tuned" engines.

This makes me so happy! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I wonder how many headgaskets have been replaced because of this.

Some of these shade tree Juds come in convinced that they have a bad engine because of a few coolant stains. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif You don't need much fluid in that bottle anyway. If its too full the coolant just splashes around and leaks from the cap a litttle. A blown egr cooler will blow it out of the bottle and then some and makes a big mess under the hood.

Interesting take on that. I had a v-10 with coolant coming out of the bottle but the level was okay. This leads me to think that the designed level is too high allowing coolant to be expelled as pressure releases under normal conditions.

Perhaps this recall will eventually affect all super duties with this style coolant bottle? This might reduce the number of people coming in with a "stain" assuming they have a blown head gasket or EGR cooler. When those fail, its quite obvious like you mentioned. I have begun adjusting the fill level towards the minimum to see if it helps.

Oh, almost forgot, those decals don't seem to stick very well. Anybody else see this???

• 4 weeks later...

What really sucks is, you do the recall then the lube guy gets it and fills it to the brim.

Yea, the customer needs to be tuned as well... You know they usually done read things they already know..."That jug was low, gota fill it to the top" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif Like the old, car wont start, fill the tank to help the fuel pump work better.... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif