Waxed Fuel

Rate this topic

With the second arctic cold wave I had a lot more tow-ins to deal with again. I have always wanted to take a fuel sample and stick it in the freezer at home to see what would happen. Well, I have finally done it.  I filled one of my test tubes and stuck it in the freezer right next to my Jaagermeister.  It looks like about 20% at the bottom of the test tube had wax crystals then we shook it up. I want to see if it resettles. I'll take some pictures of it when I get it like that again. It's not earth shattering but it is neat to see it up close and clear.... not that a filter plugged up with paraffin is difficult to see either.

I did that on Friday.  I had a recently (2 days ago) delivered F-750 towed in.  It was built in September, and was still on the original fuel that it came from (our sales department can be a bit cheap, and don't necessarily fill the fuel tanks).  I imagine it wasn't any sort of winter fuel, especially being a Mexican truck.  I took a sample and put it outside in the cold.  I also took another sample of the same fuel and added a very small amount of anti-gel to the fuel and placed them side by side.  The fuel without the anti-gel clouded up in under an hour, where the sample with the anti-gel remained clear.  I suppose if the fuel were topped off with winter fuel, there would have been no issues. 

I have always wanted to do this with a control and one of each additive on the market and see what actually happens and how they actually work.  However I am married and my wife does not feel it is a wise use of freezer space. However this time of year in north dakota outside is the best freezer out there. Todays high temp was -4 F.  Perhaps I will have to give this a try as I will be stuck at home next week, to help my wife recover and take care of our new baby.

• 2 weeks later...

We just had another cold snap with temps dropping below zero and had the usual gelling trucks coming in. I had a 6.4 come in and for shits and giggles I put a pressure gauge on it and running it would stay above 6 lbs, even under a load but with koeo it would start out at 4 psi and slowly drop to 4 inches of vacuum. With the key turned off it would hold the vacuum until you turned the key back on and it would go the 4 psi and drop to a vacuum again. After sitting in the shop for an hour it would go to 6 psi koeo and stay there.

I don't understand how it would create a vacuum when you check the pressure down stream of the electric fuel pump.

The back portion of the high pressure pump is a transfer pump.  I've had them drive in with no lift pump operation at all, they just

don't like it.

It was pulling a vacuum with the engine off.