Fuel additive leading to major engine failure

Rate this topic

Anybody heard of or found the fuel additive being used causing the major failure of a 6.7?  I have a friend who works for a large fleet and they have had 2 trucks with major engine failures in the last couple weeks. Both trucks had low miles on them. They have been using power service fuel additive specifically rescue 911. There dealership has told them that ford says that additive can not be used and that is what is causing the failures.  Just curious if any of you guys have come across this situation or information from ford. The additive says it is rated for ulsd use. Sounds odd to me but I can see it being possible I suppose.

I don't see how. Diesel 911 is not a regular additive and is intended to be used in cases where the fuel system is already waxed and frozen up. It does contain lubricants and such so I can't see it being harmful to be honest. What I would like to know is what was the root cause of the two engine failures before even attempting to make an kind of a link to the fuel or the use of additives.

Diesel 911 has butanol in it, butyl alcohol.  That's the only ingredient I noticed that was suspect.  We all know alcohol is an emulsifier. Most of the other ingredients are generally found in other diesel additives, xylene is the only other unusual one I've noticed that power service uses in all their additives. 

Diesel 911 has butanol in it, butyl alcohol.  That's the only ingredient I noticed that was suspect.  

Wow, I didn't know that, all OEMS have TSBs stating not to use alcohol in modern diesel fuel systems. I looked up the MSDS at http://www.mazergroup.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/MSDS-Other-Diesel-9111.pdf

​and it "looks" like in Section 15 it could be as much as 30% alcohol. If it is I will definitely recommend against using this is my classes.....

:grin:

We'll my buddy's truck dropped a valve, n it is n 11 model year I believe. They have another truck with spun bearings. I guess the dealer also has two others with spun bearings. I'm a lil nervous about owning one. All a guy can do is the maintenance n use good fuel n fluids I suppose.

I can see a possable concern in the fuel system but not resulting in dropped valves or bearing problems. Now it an injector failed from these additives could cause a melted piston and go from there....