2002 T-Bird FEM Programing

Rate this topic

Have a co-worker fighting to get this done. He says he can't use the IDS as it won't work to program an FEM? He has been trying to use a pass-through device but having no luck. I will find out in the morning if he got it done as I left a little after 5pm. He is more dedicated than I am!!!

He did say he's never programmed a Ford, Not sure if he means with the pass-through or a Ford period.

I don't know why he can't use the IDS? Unless he's reading the workshop manual and seeing that it doesn't list IDS as a programing option.

I've only been at this shop for a month. Never seen them use the IDS. It's an indy shop. The other two techs are L1 Masters. I'll see what he got done in the morning. So far they haven't been too free with any advice or offering to help me with anything but I can't help myself...

I cut their pay down by a third when i showed up. Not sure they are too happy about that.

Is the FEM just the "newer" version of the GEM?

Independant shop. Not a dealer. We do have an IDS & Tech 2, and several other AM scan tools. Really nicely equipped shop, I've been out of the dealer since summer of 2005 so lost a bit of knowledge on some of this stuff.

I don't even know what they are trying to fix by replacing the FEM? It has some interior panel removed but not in-the-loop on the actual concern.

A FEM is also refered to as a GEM in some publications, even the scan tool may refer to them as a GEM, depending on the application. If they are replacing the FEM, they will need to do a PMI. If they cannot communicate with the old FEM, they would have to use as built, as well as set some parameters after they are done. IDS will certainly do this. If you are using a VCMII you may get a message stating that VCMII has not been tested on this vehicle. I usually don't have a problem carrying on past this warning.

In my experience, replacing modules does not fix much, unless it is physicall damaged, or if the smoke has been let out. If there are difficulties programming I would suggest it is related to the original concern.

FEMS and GEMS were introduced in the second generation Windstars, and were followed by T-Bird and LS.

He got-er-did with the Bosch pass-through box. I don't know what he was doing as the IDS should have been a no-brainer? He really doesn't have much to say. Before i started he was turning 70-90 hours a week. Now he's down to the mid-fifties and not happy.

Apparently the customer diag'd the FEM as bad...