2003 Doge Ram 24 Valve Cummins Injector Tools

Rate this topic

ktmlew

Have one that is making oil. Looking for info & tools needed to service the injectors and feed tubes. Found a video on youtube but he used the OEM style tool which is over $200.00. Any other options? I've worked on some older Cummins that you could thread a bolt into and pop them out. The 03 up is different.

Feed tube leaks bleed high pressure into the return system through the head passage. You can pull the cover and do a careful visual with dye to find a cracked body, or if it has high hours checking return flow may warrant all 6. The only special tool I think you will need is the fuel test fitting that directs pump return flow and injector return flow to separate containers.

Feed tube leaks bleed high pressure into the return system through the head passage. You can pull the cover and do a careful visual with dye to find a cracked body, or if it has high hours checking return flow may warrant all 6. The only special tool I think you will need is the fuel test fitting that directs pump return flow and injector return flow to separate containers.

It has over 200K miles so due for injectors. First one I've touched so looking for tips. Think I'm on the right track now with your help and the Youtube videos.

I found a fuel pressure test that was really confusing apparently because it has more than one hose connection? I'll do some more searching for a picture of said tool. The test said to pinch off the hose to the gauge and see if the pressure dropped then move to return line and repeat. Didn't make sense to me at the time.

You don't know what you don't know, right?

These sure are easy to work on. Would have finished it today but the connector tube o-rings didn't come with the injectors. Plus we couldn't get a valve cover gasket today. It has been running with fuel in the oil for long enough the motor is absolutely spotlessly clean inside.

I didn't need any special tools. Popped the connector tubes out with a long pair of needle nose & the injectors with a couple of opposing allen wrenches. The #4 injector line was a little stubborn but finally came loose.

Main problem was finding torque specs for the injector hold down bolts, connector tube nut & injector lines.

Found this:

Injector--89 in lbs

connector tube--34 ft lbs (was 37?)

Lines--18 ft lbs

banjo bolts 22 ft lbs

OK. Customer thinks it's still making oil. We have had the truck for 3 days, pulled transfer case and resealed it, and oil didn't move on the stick. Stupid question. Will the cp3 pump leak at the seal with the engine off? If it is leaking, will that normally cause driveability/starting issues? How do you test for a leaking cp3 seal? Pull cover over gear and use dye and a mirror? If it has to be running to leak as I assume, add dye to fuel filter, run a minute or two, then pull gear cover and see if any dye present.

Customer called initially and asked for quote to replace injectors. I really should have better explained my lack of knowledge on these. It's tough to learn while working flat-rate. 

Are there any Coffee table type books available with tips & tricks?