Dodge's new V6 diesel Ram 1500.

Rate this topic

lmorris

Saw the commercial for the new Dodge 1500 with the V6 diesel. Not sure how that is going to fly around here. I see it going one of 2 ways, either we will see very little because diesel is typically 15-20 cents more that gas and that can't compete with Ford's V6 Ecoboost, or there will a shit ton of new Dodge 1500's running around with 10 inch stove pipes coming up through the box.

Seems to me there has long been a lot of buzz over manufacturers offering a smaller or lighter duty truck with a diesel option. Well, here you go! What ever happened to the F100? What about the diesel Ranger that is in production BUT NOT IN NORTH AMERICA? It seems that diesel power is finally beginning to work it's way into our market so it will be interesting to see how this goes

IF the VM Motori engine proves reliable, and Dodge + reliability are not normally said together, I wonder if it has the godawful MB trans behind it?

The engine hasn't gotten the best reviews in the Grand Cherokee as it's NVH isn't really great, but in a truck, maybe the "diesel-ness" will be better accepted.

Brain fart. I had it in the back of my mind "Cummins" but now I remember that was Nissan using that engine which I haven't heard anything more about. So, this engine in the Cherokee and who makes it?

Yesterday one of our Dodge techs rolled one of these 1500's in to PDI it. I snapped a few pictures of the engine. Not much to look at as it's kinda small snd tucked way under the cowl. The tech commented that it is similar to the engine used in Sprinters.

Makes me wonder if Ford and Chevy will follow with a diesel. What engine would ford use? I recall pictures of a V-6 but that was some time ago. Would it be conceivable to see the 3.2L in the F150? Whatever happened to the rumored F100?

The engines in the Sprinter and 1500 only share similar displacement.

They may look sort of the same, one's the VM the other a Benz diesel. The Benz, you probably won't hear when it's running.  Wait till the oil cooler seals start leaking on the Benz motor.  What a mess.