Broken CAC Tubes

Rate this topic

So now I have come across a few of these now. The "cold" side plastic CAC tube splitting and blowing apart at the throttle body connection. Anybody else see this at all?  If you look at the tube closely it almost looks like a really crappy mold that was cobbled together or even pieces that were fused together. I cant figure out if this is being caused by excessive heat from EGR gasses blowing back (which I doubt) or if the part is just poorly made. I say I doubt EGR is the issue as any other time I remove this tube there is no carbon in the tube. Tubes that come apart have low or no boost and the EGR gasses in the intake have no resistance and will blow out the intake or the broken tube.

I've never seen them crack there, but I have seen one or two that had the bellows swelled and were split there. And I checked the ebp sensor and the turbo for sticking on each of them and didn't find anything. I think they were 450/550 flat beds or utility boxes.

• Like 1

I have seen 2 so far. One was an F-450 tow truck, and the other was an F-350 service body truck. The 450 just needed a tube, the 350 however, was intermittently shifting from 2nd back to 1st under hard accel instead of 3rd. I wonder if it could have caused issues with the cac tube.

Two of the fleets I work with have had only 2 trucks out of 48 and they repeat now 3 times. Dealer has involved a FORD FSE on one but have not seen any changes in part yet. Just directed to replace it and move on. The Driver is keeping a spare in the back,

If you guys haven't noticed this part is still a direct ship from the manufacturer which means they must have a BUNCH of these things laying around(the box is even tagged "scorpion" which I rarely hear used anymore).  They're not available in any warehouses and it typically took us 3 days to get one.  Unacceptable after I had changed 4-5 so I confronted my service manager and we charged one to shop so I could have one "in-stock" to rotate out when we had to get a customer back on the road.

This was one of the things that pushed me over the edge with our parts dept.  No local dealers have one in stock so we must not need one either.  Bull.  Since then we have had a few changes with the way parts are stocked. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...