IDS 92.01 VCM Comm Issues?

Rate this topic

Yesterday I updated my IDS to version 92.01.  Immediately I could not communicate with my VCM2 in either mode - wired or wireless. It would not recognize or even connect in my wireless settings. So, I un-installed 92 and reinstalled 91 from my flash drive. Everything works perfectly again.

Anybody have any similar issues?

I downlaoded it on the IDS that stays in my toolbox. Didn't notice anything too crazy but I told the guys to hold off on putting it on our other IDS incase it turns out to be a flop.

We don't use the wireless VCM. The one guy mentioned he had to wait 10 minutes to get a keyless entry code.

I downloaded 92.01 and it worked fine as far as I know. Since we are on the topic when ever my IDS sees a big download it will not let my proceed without downloading why is that or what setting do I need to change.

I loaded 92.01 yesterday morning and was using the vcm2 wireless and wired yesterday and it was fine. We got 3 vcm2's and ever the last 6 months or so I have had to manually reset 2 of them for communication issues. One was a wireless issue and the other was a wired issue.

Thanx for the feedback. Maybe my download was corrupt or something. I have time this weekend perhaps I will try downloading it from home - MUCH better internet connection.

Other way around here. When I got something big I wanna download I do it at work.

I have the same computer you do Keith and when I downloaded 92 it is taking longer for my VCM II to connect. Before it would connect before the IDS screen would load. Now it takes a couple minutes to link up.

just got donw contacting hotline with same issue and this fixed it:

1.Disconnect the VCM II from IDS and the vehicle, close the IDS program.2.Click on the Desktop tile > bottom left corner is an icon that looks like 4 squares > right click and in the menu select Search > search for VCI Manager and you will see listed VCI Manager (Ford-VCM-II) > right click and in the menu select 'Run as administrator'.3.Connect the VCM II to the PC using the USB cable.4.The 'Repair USB' button will appear to the right of the 'Product Help' button.5.Press the button to begin the quick repair process.This work-around should only need to be done once. 

• Like 1

just got donw contacting hotline with same issue and this fixed it: 1.Disconnect the VCM II from IDS and the vehicle, close the IDS program.2.Click on the Desktop tile > bottom left corner is an icon that looks like 4 squares > right click and in the menu select Search > search for VCI Manager and you will see listed VCI Manager (Ford-VCM-II) > right click and in the menu select 'Run as administrator'.3.Connect the VCM II to the PC using the USB cable.4.The 'Repair USB' button will appear to the right of the 'Product Help' button.5.Press the button to begin the quick repair process.This work-around should only need to be done once.

Thank you Nelson for posting this. I needed to perform this procedure after I resolved the main problem.As I suspected I had an incomplete or corrupted download of IDS 92.01 which for some reason wiped out ALL networking functionality of my laptop that required me to use system restore in Windows to correct as I could not determine what the heck happened. Unfortunately I get ahead of myself and do silly things like trying to reinstall the very same program from the very same download file that started the whole mess. :banghead: 

So my troubles went on for the entire week as I was simply just too busy to deal with it and give this my undivided attention. Here I sit at my desk with a nice cup of coffee on Saturday morning after a good nights sleep and my brain firing on all cylinders. I un-installed IDS using the IDS clean up utility, restored Windows again and restored my networking problems. Then I logged into PTS and downloaded IDS 92.01 which took less than 2 minutes ere at home. It installed. Still have network access. Then I had to run the VCI manager. At this point I have IDS up, VCM connected with he VCM icon showing and I still have Internet connectivity. :thumbup:Fuck me. :facepalm:I know better than to download and install IDS at work. I learned my lesson some time ago with a similar problem and since then I have always downloaded updates at home and put them on a flash drive. Perhaps this time the "lesson" will make a bigger impression on me.

I wish I had my own IDS I could maintain and use exclusively.  It's nearly a lost cause when you have 4 guys to share with. It took me over 2 hours today to do a Gen 1 sync update on my mother's Mountaineer.  Not a thing works as it should on either IDS. 

I wish I had my own IDS I could maintain and use exclusively.  It's nearly a lost cause when you have 4 guys to share with. It took me over 2 hours today to do a Gen 1 sync update on my mother's Mountaineer.  Not a thing works as it should on either IDS. 

You got your own laptop? See if your shop has any extra licenses or will buy you one and then you can just steal one of the other vcm's and use it. That's what I was doing when I started at this shop back in 09. Now we each have our own laptops and the shop provided each of us with a vcm to use and not have to share. But there's only 3 of us there.

• 1 month later...

I have a bit of a problem with my new wireless VCM2. Read through all the posts and didn't find anything similar to what I have. 

The VCM2 communicates  perfectly with my laptop when using the usb cable. But when I try the wireless function, it will not communicate with IDS, only if I'm inside the shop. 

If I'm outside the shop, the VCM2 wireless communicates perfectly. As soon as I drive into the shop, it loses communication with the laptop.

I tried turning the shop wireless router off, turning the lights off, disconnecting power to various parts of the shop but it still happens. What I'm suspecting now is maybe the shop security system motion detectors are interfering with the VCM signal.  Even if the alarm system is disabled, the motion sensors are still active. 

We have the same problem here. Not sure what it causing it. One week the wireless will work great, next week nothing. Always works outside. I went and got myself one of the longest printer cables I could find so I can keep my laptop on my tool box when the wireless is down.

• 5 months later...

I haven't seen the VCI manager for awhile. What version of IDS are you running? My VCM 2 updated when V93.01 came out.

It is there.Click on the Windows (Start) button and in the search box type "VCI Manager" and windows should bring up the shortcut for you. Also, IDS installs in a default folder on your hard drive unless it was deliberately installed in an optional location. The typical folder and file name is: "C:Program Files (x86)BoschVTX-VCIVCI Software (Ford-VCM-II)VCI Managervci-manager.exe"

I just upgraded to 95.01, I was diagnosing my wireless for the vcm, when I saw an update was available through the update tab in the VCI manager. Even though it told me through the IDS to VCM connection screen it was "up to date". 

By the way the dongle on the laptop end had gone bad. It would still connect to the VCM through the wireless manager in the laptop but would not connect to the IDS software. So it pays to have an extra dongle laying around to diagnose any connection issues. :banghead: Instead of reinstalling IDS software and updating drivers all day just to find this out.