Scan Tools Are Just That...Tools

Rate this topic

In light of several different reasons I have decided to post some info on my experience with different scan tools that I use. I will try and stick with the facts and leave my opinion out ** .

One of my favorite question I used to get from some of my customers was...,."Don't you have one of those tools you plug and it just tells you what's wrong". Since a big portion of my customers are construction workers, my response goes like this " Don't you have one of those sky tracks that puts the shingles on for you". This question usually brings a blank stare :crazy: . That is when I say "No" but I bet in makes it a heck of lot easier :) To me scan tools are really not much different then any other tool in my box...Just a tool.

Since I have two OE level scan tools and several AM scan tools, I pick the weapon I feel is best suited for the adventure. 

Example 1: GM gasser, Customers complaint is poor acceleration, basically poor trans kick down. I think it had lean codes but I didn't document that.

CFDG Bad MAF.png 

After reman MAF

CFDG Reman MAF.png

Example 2: '09 Ford 5.4L 3 valve. This is also how I diag the new Ford universal O2 sensor, Engine must be bone cold in order for this to work. Take it for what it's worth since this is not found in the Ford PPT. Tool of choice IDS

Ed Hersch P0130 & P0150 no bump.png

After reflash/TSB only applies if it has both P0130 & P0150

Ed Hersch After Update.png

Example 3: '91 Ford 5.0L Truck had intermittent cuts out/stall. Fix was ignition stator/pick up.

DTS..TCW.png

With this tool I can go back and pull up pids that I may have not been watching when the problem happened. It also has unlimited frames it can store.

DTS..TCW 2.png

Example 4: 6.4L Had a dead mis and lot of other weird symptoms that I will spare the details on. Fix for grocery list of codes including PCM codes, was in my opinion to install PCM cover/lock and add contact enhancer to terminals. Fix for mis was to install a UVCH.

One of the best things I like about OE scan tools is the freeze frame data. Check out what happened to the FF for code P060C

P060C FF 1.pngP060C FF 2.pngP060C FF 3.png

Example 5: Is not even a scan tool :nerd: but that does not make it any less valuable. DSO capture of a bad Ford coil, #8 is the bad one.

Bill Brough P0308(bad coil).png

Example 6: '06 Ford van brought in from another shop after they replaced all 8 injectors and did #5 three times. Had a code P0205. It would trip the injector fault pid to yes, the shop that brought the van knew this. What I found was it would only mis in forward and not reverse. Fix was repair wires @ EGR tube.

20140919_144514.jpg

I even installed a fabricated bracket so it does not happen again

20140919_164006.jpg20140919_163958.jpg

After I told shop that the injector control wire was shorting out to the EGR tube, his question was "So did your Ford scan tool tell you that".... I guess the engineers forget the Pid that says " wire shorted to EGR tube or W_SHRTD_2 EGR :poke:

AND that brings me to my final point....The best tool and the one that brings all the tools together is on your shoulder.

Enjoy the adventure :D

• Like 1

AND that brings me to my final point....The best tool and the one that brings all the tools together is on your shoulder.

Unfortunately this is one thing that is commonly lacking. Coupled with a good understanding of how whatever you are working on works and good resources a scan tool is an amazing piece of equipment in the right hands. I am still looking for the button on my computer that says "FIX TRUCK."

Great post! . I get the scan tool tells us whats wrong comment all the time. Or the guys that comes in and tell me autozone said I have a particular code so all I need is the part replaced and no diag fee since I already pulled the code for you :crazy:

Customers still seem to think all we do is pull codes and slam whatever part on the vehicle according to what code we pulled. Well I guess they are partially right as there are alot of hack technicians out there!

• 4 weeks later...

I watched a guy hang 4 count em 4 complete turbos on a 6.0 truck for a P0299.CAC tank had blown off. Lmfao.

At what point would it take for management to say WTF?  That's bad.  I'll be the first to admit i've mis-diagnosed some stuff but some people don't need to be working on diesels.