Transit Connect Blinkers Are Too Fast

Rate this topic

A tech in my shop is working on a 2011 Transit Connect with directional that blink too fast. All lights work normally otherwise. The hazard lamps flash normally but if you use either left or right turn signals they flash much too fast.

FSE is stumped. This truck was possibly built this way as the customer said it always did this but is just failed a inspection for the blinkers. Anyone see anything like this before?

Has new bulbs, SJB, all grounds checked. Circuits checked.

I would assume that you about talking about the GEM module. Ford made a little confusing because the wiring diagram also shows an SJB. I would amp check all bulbs and circuits. Any circuit pids that you can watch with the IDS. Also if the tech just did PMI he could have installed the corrupt file back into the new module.

I'm guilty of doing what I'm about to say but that's more with older models that have less sensitivity than the newer transistorized lighting, and your parts guy may have done this to your tech. Even though they installed the bulbs, is it possible your tech could have been given 3157 bulbs instead of 3457 or something along those lines. They are similar and can't tell the difference unless you look at the stamped on number for the most part, and that the different bulb is pissing off the GEM and causing the issue(even though we're talking not even a full amp of difference usually)? Are any codes stored in the GEM relating to turn signal circuits? Otherwise I'd be tempted to pull out the ampmeter and check amp draw and see if anything is unusual.

Also, is there anything in programmable parameters about exterior lighting settings? I seem to recall something about them in the super duty platforms from dealing with a flatbed with extra lights, so may be something to check quick when the IDS is connected.

I remember doing  a probe with one of those light out lamps on the overhead counsel. It would always show a bulb out, but all bulbs worked. We found the 3rd brake lights had the wrong part number bulb installed.

Well this one ended in bizarre fashion. There was a fuse missing in the SJB for "Taxi Flasher" or something to that affect. This vehicle is not equipped and does not have these circuits but with the fuse missing it caused the directional to flash too fast. Fuse installed, vehicle fixed. My FSE had to do some digging to find that one.

It failed state inspection because the blinkers flash too fast?

Yep. Which I find unusual unless commercial vehicles get a different inspection than non-commercial. Years back New Jersey in an effort to save money decided total vehicle inspections were no longer going to be performed at state inspection stations. Now they only verify your insurance and registration, inspect the exhaust for tampering, check the gas cap, scan for emissions codes and stick a sniffer in the tailpipe. Private inspection facilities might still do a complete safety check.

interesting find. The SJB must have a internal circuit that pass through that taxi fuse

If we had state inspections here in AZ we would loose 50% or more of our cars on the road!. Maybe its not a bad thing!