HP Oil Testing using CO2 or Nitrogen?

Rate this topic

I can see the attraction to doing that. My fear is that Some small leaks from the pump that are normal may sound like large leaks begging for needless repairs. Have you or has anyone you know actually tried this? Now I am curious!

Some small leaks from the pump that are normal may sound like large leaks begging for needless repairs. Have you or has anyone you know actually tried this? Now I am curious!

No, I haven't tried it, but it was discussed in class the other day. As far as reference leaks, developing a baseline of what's a normal noise wouldn't be too hard if you had one apart. Do you have a tank of gas that could be used? I'm even thinking Argon mix from a Mig would work, but probably more expensive. O2 would work, also, but could be a fire hazard if not blown out of the crankcase with shop air.

I've heard of Hotline recomending it in the past as well.... I'm not a fan of it because I've never found it needed... If you are using a stethescope and listening to every possble leak point, its hard to miss it.. I have found that there are way too many guys out there still trying to listen with the naked ear /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif, one guy even used the stethescope, but it had the metal end on it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif for noise rather than air leaks.. I recomend keeping it as simple as possible... The block heater helps some too for those that only act up hot..

The block heater helps some too for those that only act up hot..

That's an excellent tid-bit of advice and I have used it several times in the past. It was also useful in identifying leaking injectors back in 2003. I ran into one that would not leak when cold but the block heater got the engine hot enough to make things happen. By the way, an engine gets pretty warm in a garage with the block heater on. I remember the heat coming off of it and some parts were a bit warm to the touch! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

International no longer wants us techs using shop air to test the high pressrue oil system on the I-6 engines as they say it is unreliable. I wonder how much longer we will be using the air test on the 6.0 Every time I have ever put air to one of these systems I hear leaks, even if there is no problem with the system.