Diesel Fresh

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I googled it and here's what I came up with.

Does it stink to change your oil?

With some brands, there can be an unpleasant scent immediately following an oil change. The most noticeable time this condition occurs is with the engine at idle speed and only during the first 500 - 1,500 miles after the oil change. Diesel Fresh helps neutralize this condition.

Diesel Fresh is used in the initial factory oil fill of the Cummins engine. It is formulated with premium quality 15w40 CI-4 diesel oil and a proprietary lemon odorant. Compatible with all CI-4 and CI+4 diesel lubricants.

The four-ounce Diesel Fresh bottle treats up to 12 quarts of diesel engine oil. The product has a lemon scent.

Borrowed from 3rd strike performance's site.

I use it as a shampoo to get that diesel tech scent all the ladies die for

I just dab a little diesel fuel behind each ear and my wife goes nuts.

And to think I've been using fric mod this whole time  :haha2:

Yes it is real - no joke. I am still trying to comprehend the need for it. I thought the stink and noise were part of the joy in owning a diesel.

Hey, if it wouldn't mess with the chemistry and effectiveness, do you think somebody would come up with a deodorizer/scent to put in the DEF tank?

Isn't cj-4 a requirement, yet this is a ci-4 base stock oil additive. Although it is a very small percentage of volume. It states comparable with ci-4 and ci-4 plus. They have higher tbn and zddp, but break down fast under the higher temps of 2007.5 up emissions.

I think it's supposed to help kill the odors coming out of the crankcase vent on the dodges. The last I looked they still run a draft tube that dumps into the atmosphere.

Really?  I thought closed crankcases were a Fed requirement after '07.

I think it's supposed to help kill the odors coming out of the crankcase vent on the dodges. The last I looked they still run a draft tube that dumps into the atmosphere.

Really?  I thought closed crankcases were a Fed requirement after '07.

Um... I guess I gotta take another look at a newer dodge. Unless someone who works on them can chime in.

A little help from my old friend Google and I found out that I am wrong. It is a closed ccv system.

For years Cummins has vented crankcase gasses to the atmosphere. With the new 6.7L emissions systems they've switched to a CCV or Closed Crankcase Ventilation system. The CCV system dumps the crankcase gasses into your turbo inlet post air filter which causes an oily buildup on the turbo compressor wheel. If crankcase blow-by is higher than normal these gasses can also coat the inside of the intercooler which lowers it's efficiency.

A little help from my old friend Google and I found out that I am wrong. It is a closed ccv system. For years Cummins has vented crankcase gasses to the atmosphere. With the new 6.7L emissions systems they've switched to a CCV or Closed Crankcase Ventilation system. The CCV system dumps the crankcase gasses into your turbo inlet post air filter which causes an oily buildup on the turbo compressor wheel. If crankcase blow-by is higher than normal these gasses can also coat the inside of the intercooler which lowers it's efficiency.

Actually, the CCV system on the Cummins ISB 6.7L has a filter assembly mounted on the top or back of the engine depending on the ordered configuration. It does a good job and the filter actually has a maintenance interval as it can clog. The engine control system has a crankcase pressure sensor that monitors crankcase pressure and as you might suspect, will set a code and turn on some warning lights on the dash.

"If crankcase blow-by is higher than normal these gasses can also coat the inside of the intercooler which lowers it's efficiency."

On Ford diesels that oily reside prevents internal rust in the intercooler and provides a telltale in the manner of refrigerant dye that enables locating leakage.

Brake squeal is an audible warning to pedestrians in case they are text-walking and approach the curb.

Feces is odorized so no one attempts to eat it thinking it is a Tootsie Roll.

BMW drivers need no prophylactics as their personalities assure no reproduction occurs. (I own a BMW....)

Shall I explain any other phenomena?

"If crankcase blow-by is higher than normal these gasses can also coat the inside of the intercooler which lowers it's efficiency."Shall I explain any other phenomena?

I just copied and pasted from a site that was trying to sell thier open crankcase vent.

I have seen that same thing. Definitely not picking on you.

I have changed those crankcase vent filters on a few Cummins 6.7's. I have had the hot side CAC pipes loose on several and I haven't found any oil residue. Their crankcase vent system still seems to not poison the CAC.