C-c-c-cold!

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I woke up to -14 degrees yesterday morning here in NJ. :ohnoes: I don't think I have ever seen temps this low, ever.

It was a good day to go out into the lot and see which trucks would fire and unbelievably all but one started and some had injection problems. The one trouble maker had batteries that just did not like the bold  despite testing "good" by the Rotunda battery test 5 weeks ago.

I actually expected the us usual stream of trucks being dragged in for not starting or dying after the fuel gelled up. To my surprise not a one! I think that they have all learned to use fuel conditioner by this time of the season but I am sure someone out there had problems. 

I honestly don't mind the cold when it stays cold. Over a 20 hour period we had snow then rain then more snow with a temperature change of 30 degrees. 86 for you down south.

We got down to 6 degrees last week here in North Alabama.  Currently sitting at 33 degrees, with 100% chance of snow today. They are estimating we will get 1-3 inchs today with another inch tonight. Uncommon for us southern folk, so pretty much everything is shut down. Our owner decided last night to close down today, but me and another tech came in early to get some leftover work done. Looks like we'll probably be closed again tomorrow since it wont get above freezing till tomorrow afternoon, and our DOT is not setup well to remove snow from road ways. Thankfully I got my ole 4X4 truck running good and a new set of tires last week so I'm looking forward to playing in some snow :grin:

Sounds like a nice day! Cold temps mean a clear sky and no snow. Dress warm!

All the same -40 C/F is the magic spot. When you reach temps where propane struggles to vapourize you're pretty likely to have some diesel fuel turning into a solid. I used to hate firing my 6.4 at those temps - even letting it run overnight I still worried about fuel gelling and running lean.

My first winter in the Yukon I had a 2007 B4000 and I rented a room in a house with a heated shop. My Mazda slept in the shop. I remember it hitting ~45 below one night, starting the truck in the shop and letting it warm, and then having the steering hydraulics freeze 5 minutes AFTER leaving the shop. haha ... Using the clutch was also ill-advised. While it never happened to me personally I did repair a number of slaves after cold snaps.

Last week we had a record setting low of -17F in Pittsburgh. I was scared for my poor 6.0 that's for sure. Last year 0 degree temps had my fuel freezing up, not so much this year. The fuel might be treated different now because we're not seeing anyone coming in with frozen filters.

Also the fact I wired in a fuel heater may have helped. Not regretting that one a bit.

Well we got 11" of snow yesterday evening. I've seen 3-4 inches before, but seeing this much was mind blowing to this Southern Boy. Driving at night was interesting as even both low beams and high beams along with my KC lights on I couldn't see maybe 30 feet. But it warmed up enough today and road crews got most of snow cleared off so back to work tomorrow.

-30 in Toronto is probably C, not F, but it's still f'ing cold. 

Cleveland is on schedule to have the coldest February ever with records being kept since the 1800's. I think they said our average temp has been 15F this Feb.  Seeing more subzero than I ever remember and have lots of snow on the ground- it won't melt and there's nowhere left to put it.  It's above the mailboxes at the street.

Brrr!

:ohnoes:

I'd like to know what they changed from 2010 to 2011.  The auto hub locks are a different part number but I can't see a damn bit of difference just by looking at them.

Nevermind. I had no idea the newer super duties used constant vacuum hubs. 

As Peter at the Chicago training center would say. "It's called product knowledge for a reason. Now that you just fucked away a bunch of time figuring out that it's working normal. How does that make you feel?"

That, IMHO, is a total douche statement. Let me tell you why. In this trade there are 2 ways to learn things, reading and doing. It doesn't matter if you "wasted time" figuring out that it works or if you spent an hour on the internet reading about how it works, either way, you now have a new bit of useful information.  

• Like 1

Yeah but how many tech's are gonna read the book or even follow a pinpoint test for hubs on a superduty. If you don't know that it's switched from pulse vacuum to constant vacuum and don't bother cracking the book. One might be inclined to replace a module or solenoid thinking that it's getting hung on constantly instead of dumping vacuum after the allotted time is up.

Oh I'm not arguing with you. Description and operation is the most valuable literature we have. I always tell any of the young guys I have worked with, don't bother trying to know how to fix it, Know how it works, then fixing it will be easy.